Help Compiling Gospel Tunes

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marty Broussard

Help Compiling Gospel Tunes

Post by Marty Broussard »

Hi Folks,
I would appreciate any suggestions that you would provide regarding some recordings/vids featuring steel-guitar/steel-guitarists. I have some from Jeff Newman and a handful of others from Doug Jernigan’s recordings, but my exposure/knowledge of any others is limited.
Thanks for any help!
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Albert E Brumley,,Tom's daddy wrote over 500 gospel songs,,,,including I'll Fly Away. Al Jr has a great CD with Tom playing steel,,,YouTube
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Marty, if you look on the YouTube channel for Paul King he has lots of Gospel steel played at home and at a nursing home. Excellent sound quality and Paul is a talented 1st class player. He posts on our Forum's Steel on the web topic frequently.
Marty Broussard

Thanks folks! Keep it coming…
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

John Hughey records a CD, "Gospel Favorites," available on his web site.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Marty, I think you are looking for instrumental steel guitar gospel stuff?

But if not, there are some alternative things out there that feature guitar, steel and some other country oriented instruments as well. Check out some of these instrumental things:

Dwayne Friend had several country southern gospel instrumental lp's in the 1970s that featured Lloyd Green, Jeff Newman...

There are two lps from a group of Nashville Musicians. Name of group is "The First National Jesus Band" featuring Jeff Newman, Jimmy Capps on guitar...

Also should mention other southern gospel groups from the 70's that were vocal but featured the pedal steel all over their songs...Florida Boys, Happy Goodmans, Hemphills...

Sorry if these examples are not what you are looking for, but I thought I'd mention them.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Hi Marty,

This is my favorite PSG gospel song performance, with the great Tommy Detamore backing two good singers on an all-time great song. “How Great Thou Art”:

https://youtu.be/cnUxiznL2ts

Also, here’s an awesome gospel instrumental from Tommy Detamore, “Be Strong In The Lord”:

https://youtu.be/japj06ShxYM

Would love to hear your interpretation of some gospel songs, Marty.
Marty Broussard

Thanks folks! I’m enjoying the journey.

@Duane, I’m interested in all variations.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Marty,
Zane King has some gospel tunes on his YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@ZaneDonnaKing/videos

Andy
Marty Broussard

@Ben, thank you for posting those links….wow!! Tommy is awesome. Now that I’m retired I’m hoping to go watch him live..
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

There is a gospel album by Mr. Huey and Mr. Crawford that has some great arrangements of songs on it.
Marty Broussard

Thank you, Bobby. I’ll try to find one.