Adjusting seat when switching necks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

Adjusting seat when switching necks

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Just started seriously looking at the C6 neck and am learning the intro to Nightlife, a rite of passage on the back neck. But I found myself needing to really adjust my sitting position to the right when moving between the necks. And then readjusting, even moving the actual pac seat over a bit to the left when going back to E9. Is this normal, or is there a sweet spot where you don't need as many adjustments.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I started on a D10 learning both necks at once and soon switched to universal, so I suppose I have always occupied that "sweet spot".

I imagine you'll have to get used to operating the E9 pedals at more of an angle than you've ben used to up till now.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

If I'm comfortable playing the back neck, I find it necessary to shift a bit forward in my seat to play E9. If I don't, I find my right hand is stretching a bit rather than being above the strings.

It's an odd situation for me: I'm mentally more comfortable on E9 (after fifty years!) but physically at ease on C6, if that makes sense.

I like to sit opposite the 16th/17th fret and that does make the left knee-levers a bit challenging. I have them adjusted to their optimum positions but that cursed LKV is still a 'KL Too Far'.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I will add that, as I play 'Day', I do find pedals 1 & 2 (C/B) a bit of a stretch, as is my LKL2 (lowering the Es).
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Common wisdom is to center the body at the 15th fret. I'd have to pay attention but, I don't think I'm making any drastic changes (back/forth, L/R) when switching necks, even as I reach across with the left foot for P4-P8.

and..I'm a short dude.

fwiw.

hp
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

Same as Howard.....
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Like Roger, I play Day, and I would recommend that setup to all uni players, as having A and 5 together is very useful.

There's no obvious place to put a 3rd-string half-step raise even if you have enough changer holes, but A, 5 and the vertical together (a natural move) gives that "A6" voicing.

The A pedal also has a melodic use in the B6 tuning, but the C is peculiar to the E9 and is best parked at the end of the street.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I find no need to shift.
Bob