The Steel Ride that Got You Hooked

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Barnett

The Steel Ride that Got You Hooked

Post by David Barnett »

I always like to ask this question, because it surprises me at some of the answers and lots of times it introduces me to something new I like. So, here it goes…..

What Steel Guitar Solo got you hooked and made you wanna play? The one ride, that absolutely lit one heck of a fire under you when you heard it, you couldn’t stop thinking about it, and even now if you hear it, you get chills.

For me it’s the ride on Garth’s “Much Too Young”. The moment I heard Bruce come in there sideways on that big Emmons, I about jumped out of my truck seat. I HAD to have a steel guitar at that moment, and 2 days later I bought a Fessenden S-10 & Bruce’s Homespun Tape. Still I listen to that song about 2-3 times a day, Bruce is my hero, biggest inspiration I have.

Now, what’s the one that done it for you?
David Barnett RN
Hatfield Banjo Endorsing Artist
Derby SD-10
Emmons Legrande ll D10
A few old Prewar Gibson Banjers
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Buddy Emmons playing the solo on Ray Charles' 'Wichita Lineman'.

I had no idea who Emmons was, but hearing that beautiful melody on steel guitar brought home to me that fact that, contrary to what I'd believed, it was possible to play more complex chords on the instrument. That big Bbmaj9 he played near the top of his solo was all I needed to hear!

(I'm not saying that JayDee Maness didn't light a fire under me with his amazing E9 blocking, but Buddy was who sent me out shopping!)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Buddy Charleton on "Waltz Across Texas" by Ernest Tubb and John Hughey on "Last Date" by Conway Twitty.

There are so many that I love,but those are my favorites.
David Barnett

Post by David Barnett »

Andy Jones wrote:Buddy Charleton on "Waltz Across Texas" by Ernest Tubb and John Hughey on "Last Date" by Conway Twitty.

There are so many that I love,but those are my favorites.
Charleton was awesome, what a player!
David Barnett RN
Derby SD-10
Emmons Legrande ll D10
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Oh, PLEASE!! Come on...

"Together Again," by Tom Brumley, Buddy's intro and solo to "Touch My Heart," and Buddy's 4-bar interlude in "The Other Woman." in 1965.

I didn't discover the "Night Life" album until later.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

The one that got me thinking was Sneaky Pete's solo on the Burrito Bros. version of "White Line Fever". Started thinking harder when I heard Sneaky's solo on the Jackson Browne version of "Take it Easy".
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Hello Mary Lou - New Riders - Live
That classic Buddy Cage ascending Steel Ride really drove me to get a PSG, summer of 10th grade, 1979.
Starting 1min:50sec
https://youtu.be/D-4rGrMM8Ek
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Emmons again on Judy Collins' version of Pity The Poor Immigrant (produced by Steve Stills)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Emmons, once more, on Judy Collins' recording of 'Someday Soon'.
U.S.A.F. 1978-1982
2005 Carter S12U 7x5
1978 Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8x4

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
David Barnett

Post by David Barnett »

Mike Ester wrote:Emmons, once more, on Judy Collins' recording of 'Someday Soon'.

Ooooo yea, that’s a good one. He’s getting a real “dreamy” tone on that one, I always thought it was so cool!
David Barnett RN
Derby SD-10
Emmons Legrande ll D10
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Several for me, but Curly Chalker Shadow of your smile, Buddy Emmons Night Life, Santo and Johnny Sleepwalk and Alvino Ray St Louis Blues.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Poco/Bad Weather/Rusty.
Took me 45 years to follow up on the idea, but I never gave up on it and finally started playing.
Gil James

hooked

Post by Gil James »

John David Call..... "Tears" on Pure Prairie Leagues first album. Well, really the whole album.... and the next 2....
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

For me, it was the steel solo on "What Do I Know" by country music band Ricochet. The song is featured on their self-titled record, "Ricochet", which was released on Columbia Records and I thought Teddy Carr had played on the song for awhile, then I found out from Ricochet lead singer Heath Wright that the only band member who played on the record was Heath on guitar and they were using studio musicians, so the steel player on the song was Bruce Bouton-he was actually the steel player on the whole record. Teddy played the song while touring with Ricochet in their live shows for five years.
Last edited by Brett Day on 7 Feb 2023 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Barnett

Post by David Barnett »

Brett Day wrote:For me, it was the steel solo on "What Do I Know" by country music band Ricochet. The song is featured on their self-titled record, "Ricochet" and I thought Teddy Carr had played on the song for awhile, then I found out from Ricochet lead singer Heath Wright that the only band member who played on the record was Heath on guitar and they were using studio musicians, so the steel player on the song was Bruce Bouton-he was actually the steel player on the whole record. Teddy played the song while touring with Ricochet in their live shows for five years.

Yes!!! I thought I was the only one who listened to Ricochet, they are one of my favorite bands. I’ve never got to see em live, but man Heath is one heck of a singer!
David Barnett RN
Derby SD-10
Emmons Legrande ll D10
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

+1 for Someday Soon - same Collins album as Immigrant
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Wayne Brown

music

Post by Wayne Brown »

well I read this Thread and was not going to respond to it, I was just enjoying it, seeing how many different influences there actually were. Well I started thinking about it and I should add mine as well. The 1st was together Again with Tom Brumley. However I was real young when that came out. But the one that sent me to buy my 1st Steel was with out a doubt "If Not You" by Dr Hook. The steel guitar was played by Doyle Grisham. According to him this version was not supposed to be released. Anyways enjoy, I have included it here: Lead starts about 1:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgXHg- ... ab70smusic

Holy Crap I just listened to it again and got shivers...AGAIN!
thanks
Wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

1968, Buffalo Springfield, Kind Woman, Rusty Young
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Moon on Lonesome O'nry and Mean.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

What got me started on steel originally was Little Roy Wiggins' steel on Eddy Arnold records.

Pedal lick(s) that hooked me was Bud Isaacs on the Webb Pierce recordings.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

The Lord Knows I'm Drinking by Cal Smith with John Hughey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6voAw66Bxko
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

The whole NRPS “Panama Red” album hit me like a ton of bricks, especially Buddy Cage’s guitar coming in halfway through “You Have Seen Me Running”. I grew up hearing steel guitar in everyday music as I was growing up, but that was the first time I turned my head and listened.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Buddy Emmons on John Sebastian's "Rainbows All Over Your Blues"
Last edited by Dave Grafe on 27 Nov 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Shelby

the one that lit a fire in my soul

Post by Joe Shelby »

Tom Brumley playing Neosho Waltz on the Buckaroo's album America's Most Wanted Band. That really got to me. That was in 1972. It took me two years of working and saving to get the first steel-a wood necked Sho-Bud Maverick, but worth it and I am still a fan of Tom's steel guitar playing.
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

All the various renditions of Amazing Grace on both lap and psg........started with lap, not 100% satisfied so bought a psg......

Sam