E9 tuning temperment of A# note - Newman chart

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Swartz

E9 tuning temperment of A# note - Newman chart

Post by Scott Swartz »

I am working on a part where the 5th string A# (lowered from B of course) is sounding sharp. I use a slight tweak of the Newman chart for tuning, and that shows it at +10 cents same as the open Es, which would give an equal tempered flat fifth interval between those two notes.

I guess the other choice is tune it just tempered with the open F#, which would be -5 cents on my chart, 12 cents below my F# at +7 cents.

I am wondering what others are using for tempering this note.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

go low
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Maybe try going back one fret with the F-lever and B-pedal and see how it sounds.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

On my "JE9" Peterson program, that is a combination of the SE9 plus pedals/knees (and some common changes that weren't around when Newman created his chart) I tune the B string A# lower to +9.8.

Worked for me on a Franklin and two GFI's, and from reports others that are using my JE9.

Always sounded right when I used that on the Together Again lick.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

My E9 is a 12 string extended tuning, not universal, but I tune the A# as a perfect JI interval with the 4th string D# lower. Goes nicely with strings 8 thru 1 forming an F# 6/9 or 7/9. I love that change. I haven't measured the cents but it's a lot lower than ET with the E.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The 5th string tuning seems to be by Copendent.

When I started playing steel, A friend gave me a Copendent for the E9th tuning. The 5th string lower was from B +8 to A# +2.

Here on the Forum under Links at top of page. Then to Jeff Newman's Copendents.
In Newman's E9th Tuning Chart it shows the 5th string lower from B +8 to A# +10.
In Newman's E9th/B6 Universal Chart it is shows the 5th string lowering B +8 to A# +2.