Dobro advice

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Harmon

Dobro advice

Post by John Harmon »

Hi all, I have a dobro that I like very well and I would like a good strap for it, preferably one that locks on somehow. Any suggestions, or any that you are well pleased with. Thanks for any input, John
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

I have the Schaller strap lock installed on all of my resonator guitars. Actually, they all come from the Beard shop that way.

Independent of what strap you end up with, you'll install half of the lock on the strap and the end pin will replace the end pin on your guitar.

This means you must release tension on the strings to remove and replace the existing pin for the strap lock.

As far as squareneck specific straps, a variety of sources including Click Here!
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

The Beard shop/resophonic outfitters also carries the lock.

Click Here!
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Thanks for answering Howard. Forgot to mention it has a pickup in it (doesn't work too well either) and no end pin, just a place to plug into. Maybe I just plug something into it with a strap on. Just don't want to drop it.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

John Harmon wrote:Thanks for answering Howard. Forgot to mention it has a pickup in it (doesn't work too well either) and no end pin, just a place to plug into. Maybe I just plug something into it with a strap on. Just don't want to drop it.
I dislike that configuration. This typically means that the original hole has to be plugged and redrilled for an end pin. The pickup jack then gets relocated below the end pin.

I can't think of another way to get the strap lock (at least the Schaller) properly installed.

h
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

I agree, as is usually the case, with Howard. This is “the right way.” There may be other right ways.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Hey John - straps, like the guitars, come in a wide variety of prices.

No idea what you’re willing to spend, and you didn’t mention the make of your guitar. The straps that Beard sells will certainly do the job, but the Cadillac of dobro straps are made by Bobby Poff and his family in Wyoming. I have a pair of them, one for dobro and another for standing lap steel.

I acquired the first one in 2007. Poff straps are pricey, but to me they are well worth it. Especially if you’re playing standing for a long period of time.

People often think the best guitar strap is one of a soft flexy material, which might be fine for regular guitar because it’s resting against your chest. But the side of a dobro is resting against your hip or midsection, and it is sort of “cantilevered” out from your body. The whole endeavor is a little more awkward than playing a standard guitar standing up. The Poff strap is made of a heavier grade of leather, and the material is relatively stiff compared to most guitar straps. The firmness give the player good support.

When I play standing with these straps I feel really dialed in, like when I played baseball in my younger years with a high quality glove, and if I were running down a ball in the outfield I was confident I would catch it once I got there. Many years ago I would play dobro standing with cheaper, sort of floppy straps, and I often would be adjusting them and it to be a distraction. This never happens with my Poff strap.

https://www.bluegrassgear.com/collections/poff-straps
Mark
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

The best way to securely attach a strap to an endpin jack I've found is the D'addario Cinchfit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSSUpht ... darioandCo.
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Mark it's a Jerry Douglas model Dobro, and since most of my playing is in a jam session I don't want to go overboard with the price. I will look at the links you fellas sent though. Thanks
Jonathan Scherer

Lakota Leathers

Post by Jonathan Scherer »

Lakota Leathers

https://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/resonator/

makes nice inexpensive straps. Players are always upgrading, so I was able to buy a used one for $45,
a year ago right here on the SGF Amps and Accessories page.

It is 3" wide.

I use a Schaller lock on the tailpiece end pin, located like Ken's photo above, with the pickup jack below.
1948 National Dynamic, 1953 Oahu Tonemaster,cheap Aiersi Weissenborn, Hambro custom square neck reso, Carvin X-60A, Fender Acoustasonic 30
and 10, Roland Cube Street
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

👀
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Bruce Bjork

Post by Bruce Bjork »

I use a Danco rubber faucet washer, #61805B 1 1/4" diameter, 1/6" thick, 1/4.

Banjo, Dobro, Guild D-40, Telecaster, Justice Pro Lite 3x5, BOSS Katana 100, Peavey Nashville 112 in a Tommy Huff cabinet, Spark, FreeLoader, Baby Bloomer, Peterson StroboPlus HD, Stage One VP.
"Use the talents you possess; the woods would be very silent indeed if no birds sang but the best"
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Just to let anyone interested know, I went with the cinchfit. Works well and I can move it to my regular guitar. Thanks Chase
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

You're welcome. I one dropped a very fine Larrivee I used to own. I was recording and when I reached up to adjust my headphones, the strap let go. Since then, I secure my straps.