Boss pocket gt, anybody using one?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Dering

Boss pocket gt, anybody using one?

Post by Larry Dering »

I have watched a few videos on the pocket gt and what few that show clean tones and effects sound good. I doubt I will use the record function. Is anyone using this or another portable device as a steel effects system? I still have the Line 6 Pod XT and the HD hanging on my steels. They work great but are becoming quite old.
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

I looked at the GT but wound up buying the Boss Waza headphone. They sound incredible! Don’t know if the sounds are the same or not but suspect they probably both come from the Katana.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Cool Doug. I have a katana 100 and it's a decent amp. However I prefer the speakers in my other amps. I may swap out the stock speaker and try out a TT just to see how it does.
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

Are you looking for a headphone solution or something to run through a speaker Larry? I tried a Line 6 Pod Go but took it back. It sounds great for the Tele but could not get a sound I was happy with for steel- through headphones only. I am sure it could be tweaked but too many menus for me. The Boss Waza headphones sound great with Steel, Tele and my Yahama Silent String acoustic using the presets, I have not tweaked them at all yet.

I have an amp but do 95% of practice through headphones,
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Doug, I want a multi effects unit for play through an amp. I also have the pod go, old Korg Pandora and a few other headphone devices. My Pod xt has headphones connections. I seldom play with headphones on. My very supportive spouse is OK with the noise. I got a few rack units, Peavey Profex II, Lexicon Mpx 1, TC Electronics G Major and so on. All older and larger devices. I'm interested in the small but powerful processor. Mooer has the PE 100, Boss the Pocket GT, Nux and a few others offer some interesting stuff. I want to get a users perspective that it's not a toy. Most do lots of functions, some are useful and some are just fluff.
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

What about a Line 6 M9? Everybody on our bandstand has one of those. Definitely not a toy
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Tim, I haven't looked at those. I hope to find a small but powerful unit that I can mount on the rear leg, like I do with the Line 6 Pod xt. I will check it out.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Anyone else using a portable effects device with steel? I purchased a Boss GT-1 pedal and it's really very good. A bit bulky for a leg mounted device and they claim the Pocket GT uses the same sound engine.
Johnie Helms

Zoom Effects

Post by Johnie Helms »

Hey Larry,

If your looking for something small, you mite check out the Zoom MS50 or MS70 Both are great multi effects pedals and in a single foot pedal plug and play platform.

JH
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Johnny, yes I have considered the zoom ms50. I know a few forum members seem to like it. I have tried a few of the old Zoom floor pedals and they were lackluster when compared to Boss or Line 6. Maybe they have upped their game.
Johnie Helms

Zoom stomp pedal

Post by Johnie Helms »

Yes Larry,

1st Time I seen one used was a Show we were doin with Gene Watson
And Danny Nacarato was usin a Zoom MS70… awesome verbs/chorus/delays..

I bought the Zoom MS50 (includes preamp/distortion patch options)

I used it on a few runs. With Moe Bandy’s Show, Steel into Volume Pedal
Into MS50 stomp pedal, into the Amp… very compact… same size as bout any Boss pedals out there.. fits in a Pack A Seat just fine…

My 2cents

Thank you

JH
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Very nice Johnny. When they 1st came on the market I could have bought one for $59.00 on Musicians Friend website. If it is as good as you stated it's well worth the newer price. I may pick one up.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Ms 50g many effects for not a lot of money and they all sound great. Best bang for the buck on the market.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Another vote for the MS-50. I’ve got user presets with various reverb and delays, overdrives, and Leslie all grouped together and can quickly change to my desired setting in a couple of seconds.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I like the fact that Zoom is still supporting this pedal. Have you done the newest software update? Anyone using the Editor they have now? Do they have a patch sharing platform? Thanks for sharing your experience.
Johnie Helms

Post by Johnie Helms »

Hey Larry,

I personally have not done anything concerning updates to My MS50
I’m pretty happy with the patches I wrote using the current effects that come with the pedal… But that’s not to say that they’re not an improvement, and worth a try.

JH
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Sweet, thanks Johnny.
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

I use a Boss Gt-001 hanging off the side of my seat.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Glenn, I have the Boss GT1 and it's a great sounding unit but a we bit large for my steel leg bracket. I could hang it on my seat if I fabricated another bracket. The pocket GT has the same sound engine as the GT1 and you can swap patches between them. I like that idea and it's size.
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

a friend of mine just bought the pocket version and has used it for both bass and guitar gigs and loves it. he says it is great not having to carry around a bunch of equipment.

i see mooer has a prime 1 unit that is bluetooth wireless including the footswitch. wondered if anyone has tried that one?

https://www.amazon.com/MOOER-PRIME-P1-H ... B09SSX3VM5

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Good to hear Michael. The Mooer Prime is interesting but the reviews on Mooer state they don't support their products very well. I can't say because I have no experience with them. Boss has a great reputation and has proven reliability.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one. 99.00 from
ZZounds.com I should have it by Saturday. I will run it through the paces and report back later. Thanks to all who responded.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Update on the Boss Pocket GT. It's a very usable product and once properly programmed some fine sounds. The computer interface is a nice way to set it up. I also use my tablet and it allows Bluetooth streaming to play along with music. I haven't dove that deep into all the parameters but it does a good job. I use a cell phone mount clamped to steel leg.