D13th S12

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

R. E. Miller

Post by R. E. Miller »

Johnny,

I've been watching this copedent evolve and am convinced. I also find myself with the time to lock myself in the woodshed for a handful of months. Before I start ripping things apart and reconstructing, are you still using the 8 and 6 configuration you were using in July, or have you refined it even more? Thank you for sharing all the work you've put into this!
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

R. E. Miller wrote:Johnny,

I've been watching this copedent evolve and am convinced. I also find myself with the time to lock myself in the woodshed for a handful of months. Before I start ripping things apart and reconstructing, are you still using the 8 and 6 configuration you were using in July, or have you refined it even more? Thank you for sharing all the work you've put into this!
I am using 8x6 with just a couple minor changes. Here is the setup going on my new MSA Tour Pro.
This chart shows a P0 because MSA has an actual Zero pedal. Typically it would be P1-P8.
Last edited by Johnny Cox on 13 Nov 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
R. E. Miller

Post by R. E. Miller »

Thank you again, Johnny.

Is it pestering to ask what prompted you to move the Dirty 9 pedal to the end from pedal 5? It sounded like you were pretty comfortable with that position in your demonstration video.
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

R. E. Miller wrote:Thank you again, Johnny.

Is it pestering to ask what prompted you to move the Dirty 9 pedal to the end from pedal 5? It sounded like you were pretty comfortable with that position in your demonstration video.
Actually I just did it so that other folks could more easily see the usual C6th pedal arrangement. I can work with it either way. I can also do Emmons or Day splits. Day just makes more sense to me.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
R. E. Miller

Post by R. E. Miller »

Much obliged. I will get to work and quit eating up your time, sir.
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

R. E. Miller wrote:Much obliged. I will get to work and quit eating up your time, sir.
Never a bother. I'm here to answer any questions and help in any way I can.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
R. E. Miller

Post by R. E. Miller »

You are too kind. Feels a little like I'm cheating off the smarter kid's homework, but I'll take it. Thank you again.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Hi I really love this idea and have been following it for a few years. I just wanted to ask if there is an "obvious" extension of this tuning to 14 strings? I play 14 string currently and am considering buying another for some version of this tuning.

Thank you for all your work on this it really is tremendous.
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Justin Shaw wrote:Hi I really love this idea and have been following it for a few years. I just wanted to ask if there is an "obvious" extension of this tuning to 14 strings? I play 14 string currently and am considering buying another for some version of this tuning.

Thank you for all your work on this it really is tremendous.
I don't really have an extention in mind as everything is in 12 strings. The only thing I would consider adding is a low G on bottom similar to what Curly Chalker had on his C6th.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Thanks so much for the response!

I think I'm missing something though: Curly had a low A (no changes) on his C6, right? So for the D13 tuning wouldn't it be a low B (no changes)?