Player on Loretta Lynn tribute show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Player on Loretta Lynn tribute show

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Who was the steel player on the Loretta Lynn tribute show last night? I keep thinking maybe Russ Pahl, but I don't have his face engraved into my memory like many others. He did a great job.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I don't know Richard but I found this brief glimpse on YT with Margo Price at about 2:09. Don't recognize the player. Maybe someone else here can help.

Did see it's a single neck and he had some sort of external device for volume or else like Russ, but it doesn't look like him to me. All I got.

https://youtu.be/xXK4aO87ezc?t=118
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Not Russ.
Richard Sinkler

Jerry Overstreet wrote:I don't know Richard but I found this brief glimpse on YT with Margo Price at about 2:09. Don't recognize the player. Maybe someone else here can help.

Did see it's a single neck and he had some sort of external device for volume or else like Russ, but it doesn't look like him to me. All I got.

https://youtu.be/xXK4aO87ezc?t=118
That control was what got me curious if it was Russ, but the guitar wasn't the one with all the knobs and switches that I have seen him with. Unfortunately, they gave no credit at the end to the band members.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Steve Hinson
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

It was Justin Schipper.
Richard Sinkler

Jonathan Cullifer wrote:It was Justin Schipper.
Thanks. It didn't look like Steve Hinson to me.
Richard Sinkler

My only complaint about the show was, I think they could have at least mentioned and spotlighted the remaining living members of the Coal Miners band. I know Bob Hempker and David Thornhill are still with us, but not sure who else. We lost one bass player recently. They were a real big part of her success in my opinion. But still, it was a good show. I cried through most of it. Most of my career has been in bands with girl singers, so Loretta was a big part of my career. Country music lost one of the best.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Perley Curtis played for Loretta, but I don't know when or for how long. He played steel and dobro.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Jerry Overstreet

Yeah, the clip I posted was definitely not Steve. Perhaps he was in other segments? I don't have access to CMT so I didn't see the program. All I got were what few spots were posted on YT and online.

I don't know Justin, so I did not recognize him.

I understand the focus being on the songs and the vocalists, but I was very disappointed there were not better shots of the steel guitar. I saw only fleeting glimpses of the steel and little of the steel player. I had to quickly pause the video to capture that shot of Justin.

I think Loretta herself would attest to how important it was to her music and career.

In the end, it was all about the lady and her music career and I only saw pieces so perhaps there was better coverage of the musicians and the steel guitar in particular.
Richard Sinkler

There were actually quite a few decent shots of him and he was the only player I saw. He did a great job.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I didn't see it but I believe Fats Kaplin played on Jack White's segment.
Richard Sinkler

Pete Finney wrote:I didn't see it but I believe Fats Kaplin played on Jack White's segment.
It's being rebroadcast Sunday morning. I only remember the one steel guitar player, but I'll pay closer attention when Jack White is on.
dlayne

Loretta

Post by dlayne »

Steve Hinson backed Jack White, I could be wrong but it sure looked like Steve, playing an S10 Emmons PP
Dan Layne
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Fats Kaplin

dlayne

Player

Post by dlayne »

Thanks Jon for the correct players name, Dan Layne
Dan Layne
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

Listening to old lp's I have noticed that Lorettas work on the Decca label is vastly superior to her later work, it is heads and shoulders above everything else she has done. Anyone else notice this or have opinions about this?
Terry Pendlay

loretta

Post by Terry Pendlay »

Mike Johnson i believe on Loretta part
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

How many know Don Helms was a big part of Lorettas earlier career? He talked about it and i believe it's in his book. Her days with the Wilburn brothers on their tv show. Don said she never gave credit for those who helped her get started. I admire Loretta and believe she was as country as you can get. We lost a great artist and legend.
Russell Nugent

Post by Russell Nugent »

Mike Johnson
Richard Sinkler

I don't know, I watched it twice and don't remember seeing Mike Johnson. But...
Jerry Overstreet

Mike Johnson did the most recent Opry with several artists honoring Loretta at the opening of the show.

That may be what people saw, but this was not the earlier tribute show to which Richard refers. It was just an opener for the most recent GOO show.
Bob Hoffnar

Re: Loretta

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

dlayne wrote:Steve Hinson backed Jack White, I could be wrong but it sure looked like Steve, playing an S10 Emmons PP
That is Fats Kaplin playing with Jack.
Bob
Justin Schipper

Re: Player on Loretta Lynn tribute show

Post by Justin Schipper »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Who was the steel player on the Loretta Lynn tribute show last night? I keep thinking maybe Russ Pahl, but I don't have his face engraved into my memory like many others. He did a great job.
Yeah, It was me on the CMT Tribute to Loretta. Played for everyone except Jack White... and I think it was Mike on the Opry one.