Fender case question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete McAvity

Fender case question

Post by Pete McAvity »

I'm sure this has been threaded to death, but I'm in search of a quick (cheat) answer. Who knows approximately what year Fender changed from the tweed to black tolex covered cases for instruments? Same time they changed amp coverings? I'd guess '64-ish?
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Fender went to brown Tolex(a few blonde) six-string and bass cases right about the same time the brown Tolex amps started mass production. Can't recall seeing steel cases in brown Tolex, but it makes sense Leo would spec the same thing across the board from their case supplier. Black Tolex started appearing on amps in late '63 so very probably cases changed over to black in the same general timeframe.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I think the tweed cases were gone by 1959, being replaced by light brown tolex with dark brown ends. The '63 and '64 cases were blond. (My '64 Jaguar has a blond case with black ends.) I've been told the black cases started in late '64, but I never saw any until '65 or '66.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

My '63 Strat (neck date Nov. 2, 1963), bought from the original owner in 1974, came with a well-worn black Tolex case (no Fender logo).
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Be carefully trying to get specific with "transition dates" with anything made by Fender.. They were notorious for using up whatever they had left, and letting nothing go to waste... In their steels, guitars, amps, cases, effects, whatever, you will find mixes and matches that were not supposed to be.. They would not throw out dozens of cases that were tan/brown because they had switched to black, that old inventory would be used.. Just as they would not throw out small headstock necks because they had switched to large headstocks... Its that way with a LOT of stuff, and was very prevalent with musical instrument builders.. bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......