Larkin Poe new lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Lipsey

Larkin Poe new lap steel

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Check them out on Instagram...I have no further info...

www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

https://electroliege.com

See Megan's video
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Ah, very cool. Glad to see Beard making lap steels. There haven’t been any real innovations in a while
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

How much are these things?
Last edited by Bill Hatcher on 3 Nov 2022 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

It is a pretty cool lookin bod with a stick pokin out of it, you got to admit! :wink: :roll: :wink:

I am in the process of building a Panda for myself.
It will have the look of a Panda, but that is where it ends.

I didn't give up on my Gibson Century Deluxe....and I know I said that was going to be the last one, but the paint took much longer to cure than I anticipated, and I got itchy so I started on one I always wanted, but couldn't afford. That one WILL be the last one........I am going to retire in April after 55 years of being a machinist.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Bill Hatcher wrote:How much are these things?
$3200.
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Innovative body style. Agreed refreshing to see.

Not for me but I'm sure many other players will appreciate the slick look. 8)
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

John Rosett wrote:
$3200.
Ouch that price point is laughable you can't be serious :whoa:
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
David Irving

Post by David Irving »

I would love one, but it's way past my price point.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

It's terrific that folks are putting their time and money behind a new lap steel and a lot of players will dig this. Kudos to Megan and Paul. This can only raise the profile of our beloved instrument.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 5 Nov 2022 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Paul Beard made it especially for her to replace the Rick she played, which had a makeshift extension attached. I was visiting his shop in MD and he showed it to me when he was fabricating it. I didn’t realize he was selling them now. My impression was that it was a one-of-a-kind. It’s a cool design and lighter than the original Rick, I believe. I’m glad it is working out for her.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

As someone with a custom steel designed for stand up playing, I’m excited to see this option. I’m sure it’s a great instrument. Unfortunately at that price point, it’s going to be out of reach for average folks — seems like it’s aimed at touring pros, not local bar band players. Maybe it will inspire less expensive versions down the road.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

What I find is laughable are people that probably never built anything of significance in their life just maybe birdhouses, doghouses, etc. and to a bird or dog this is an important thing.

Building a lapsteel, especially a one of a kind takes much thought and planning. (put an hourly rate on that and add it to the price tag) That steel Paul built is not just a run of mill steel. It has many unique features incorporated in it. That Pup isn't cheap for starters. Probably the cheapest thing on it was the wood. Poplar isn't real expensive and in this case was used because it is light in weight. Take a look at Meghan's arms, do you really think she wants to carry around a lapsteel made of Rock maple or some other heavy wood. Like Bill Hatcher said, lapsteels are hunks of wood with a stick poking out of them. Steels are not an acoustic guitar or a violin where tone woods are important. The wood used for a Steel (especially if painted) is of lesser importance.

People don't realize the amount of hours of thought and labor that goes into a quality instrument.........Once you have built one, you will have a greater appreciation for the time and effort involved, and maybe, just maybe, you will see, hey, maybe $3200 isn't that far off base. If Paul charged $32 per hour (much less than your automobile shop gets) that means maybe around 100 hours to build it? I can see that as pretty good guesstimate! Just my thoughts, which not many people care about anyway.
Last edited by Bill Groner on 4 Nov 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

You're correct, Bill. The price is not unfair given the hours of R&D, innovative design and skills and pedigree of its luthier. But, with a Clinesmith available for about half the price, if I we're in the market this new guitar would be less attractive. To each their own - whether it's their wallet or taste in instruments. We are all better for having exceptional new lap steel models out in the market. Megan is a fabulous ambassador for steel guitar and I wish her much success.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

If your goal is to get rich, and you chose building lapsteels to do it........I wish you luck! LOL
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Stefan Robertson wrote:
John Rosett wrote:
$3200.
Ouch that price point is laughable you can't be serious :whoa:
After I commented on it on Facebook, Megan sent me an email with the price.
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The value is that it is a lapsteel specifically designed to be played while standing. The shape conforms exactly Megan's body while standing and the weight is so light you can dance around on the stage while performing.

I can't think of any other lap steel designed for this specific function. Some of the Superslides had a bar that acted like the shape of this guitar to make it easy to play standing up, but superslides were comparatively heavy and I don't know anyone playing upright like a dobro player with a superslide or other lap steel models. (Edit: except Jerry Douglas. I think he used a lapdancer).

If you are a performer who wants to play a lap steel easily while standing, can't think of another steel that would fit the bill. As great as Todd's lap steels are, they are not designed to play while standing. Hence the cost.
Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 4 Nov 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

It looks amazing.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I might make one of these just to see what I come up with. I wonder if a 7 or 8 string would be desirable?
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Bill, you realize the shape of yours will have to be much different than Megan's!

:whoa: :P :whoa:
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

As in most circular arguments, both sides are “right”.

$3200 is a price point that is not going to be very appealing to the vast majority of lap steel players.

$3200 is not unreasonable for a hand built musical instrument built by one of the most respected instrument makers in the music world.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Bill Groner wrote:Bill, you realize the shape of yours will have to be much different than Megan's!

I’m pretty confident that no one will ever confuse Bill’s body shape with Megan’s.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

When I saw the price this morning I was actually a little surprised. I thought it would be more, I was thinking ballpark $3600-$3800.

Peter Jacobs was thinking the market might be touring players. I don’t think that’s the aim, it’s just players with money.

When Tim Scheerhorn was building his beautiful resonators in the final few years toward retirement he called them his Wish List guitars. The original idea was that he would build a guitar and if someone liked it they could buy it. What ended up happening was that customers talked him into building them what they wanted, just like when he would take orders in the past. A guy might order one made of flamed maple, nothing exotic - which a few years prior went for $6K. When the Wish List thing happened, the starting price went to $10,200. He had no problem selling all of these guitars at that price.

The moral of the story is that if high end luthiers based their business model on selling mainly to touring pros - they’d probably go broke.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 4 Nov 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Allan Revich wrote:
Bill Groner wrote:Bill, you realize the shape of yours will have to be much different than Megan's!

I’m pretty confident that no one will ever confuse Bill’s body shape with Megan’s.

;-)
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

…oh yeah, the Lollar horseshoe pickup goes for $600. Who in their right mind would pay six hundred bucks for a pickup?

Apparently there are some folks out there who don’t think twice about it, they just pull the credit card out of their wallet.
Mark