finger picks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Sexton

Post by Dick Sexton »

I've been having this problem too, picks wont stay on. Thried all of the above and they did work to some degree. Here's what fixed it, but use at your own risk. Find some of the cheap fiddle rosin, put some alcohol on a cue tip and rub it on the rosin then rub the cue tip on the inside of your picks. Let it dry. Wala, that'll do it. But don't do what I did the first time. I rubbed the cue tip on the rosin then rubbed my fingers on the rosin and put my picks on. When I was done practicing an about an hour later, I had to peel my picks off my fingers. Thought the skin was gonna come right off. Better then spit, better then snot, giver a try. DS
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Note to Michael H. concerning spraying piano keys with hair spray. DO NOT DO THIS!! Possibly the 'piano technician' either mis-spoke or was joking. Plastic covered keys will be become permanently etched with the lacquer hairspray. Any ivory covered keys will have a buildup, and possibly more discoloration due to this.

I have been a piano tuner in the Houston area for 36+ years, and regularly tell people how to clean the piano keys.

TGhanx,
Jim
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Wrap some electrical friction tape around the back of the pick. Not only will it keep the picks on, but will make it more comfortable on your cuticles.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

Carpet tape!......j........
Bill Duve

Post by Bill Duve »

I read Doug Rolfe's idea and my picks were killing my crooked arthritic fingers sooo,
I didnt want to wait for his so I got out a can of LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE (ace hdwe) and painted the inside real thick and hung them upside down on a wire thru the hole to dry till putting them on formed the shape of my finger..The results are a smooth roll edge and they feel wonderful, they also stay on ........
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Pro Picks sound better than Nationals or Dunlops. Now if they would only make them black or red. Image
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Bill, I tried the liquid electrical tape idea and it works great!
Bobby Johnson

Post by Bobby Johnson »

I often wondered about somthing. I work as a electrician and they make a rubber dip for dipping handles of plyers and side cutters and such to sheild from getting shocked. it dries rubber like liquid tape but much more durable. That might could work as well. Have to try it i guess. Can't hurt. They sell it at hardware stores.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bobby Johnson on 08 November 2006 at 12:47 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bobby Johnson on 08 November 2006 at 12:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Backing up Jim Bates - I read that post about spraying hairspray on piano keys and about fell over! Lacquer/solvent on ivory OR synthetic keys is a REALLY bad idea.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Paddy Long, we keep a gorilla tied to the music trailer and when we need it we just go out and "kick the snot out of him". Oh Wow! I cant believe I wrote that, but it was so tempting I couldn't resist. Image Image

on Topic: I know Bobby Bowman and I both used the cheapest hair spray you could buy... If the room was very cold I went to the "G Snot" for safety.

Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I must be fortunate, I've got these two dents that have formed in both of my fingers beside the fingernails. Caused by fingerpick squeeze since 1963. Picks don't come off at all, I have to pull them off. Like the detent was intended by HIM...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 08 November 2006 at 02:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Duve

Post by Bill Duve »

That Liquid electrical tape is also good for other things like a bigol dob of it where to stabilize where the ground wire breaks at the reverb tank RCA jack and other minor repairs, Do not however use it for houshold wiring as its insulation value is unknown and it has no thermal rating.....

------------------
I have kicked computers out the back door for less..
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

This topic goes back many years and always pops up from time to time.

Here's my fix: Open up the pick enough so you can lay in an oversized "T" shaped piece of plumbers shine cloth - the waffle type works very well.

Get some flensing(sp) glue that archers use to glue feathers to arrow shafts from a sports store.

Glue-in the T piece making sure good contact is made on all 3 sides of the pick - use a proper size cork to wedge in, if needed.

Give it a good 24 hours to cure.

Trim off the fat with an X-acto knife or one-sided razor blade, re-shape the pick to fit your finger[s].

You're ready to go. Do this, too, with the thumb pick.

I too, have used violin bow rosin. You can buy a small matchbox-size at any quality music store. It comes as one solid chunk. Simply grind it finely, put in an old 35MM photographers film case and you've got a 2 years supply, or even longer - depending on gigs.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 09 November 2006 at 06:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Yoder

Post by Bill Yoder »

Well,I,ve come up with one solution that really works.i cut a small piece of carpet tape(2 sided).just big enough to lay on my fingerail,slip the pick on the nail,voila,it stays.you can pull the piece of tape off and use it many times.if if wears out,you cut a new one.works well for me?
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Super glue works great. I tried it two years ago and the picks still haven't fallen off.
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

Bend 'em right. I used to have picks fly off all the time, especially if it was hot and my hands were sweaty. But I found that if you take the time to bend the picks properly (tapered wider away from the finger tip) and get them fitting just right, they just don't come off - unless you make a big oops and hang the back edge on a string. Done that a few times - like shooting an arrow. Also, you have to wear the picks "deeper". Mine set deep enough on my finger that I have to keep my nails trimmed pretty short for them to fit properly. I'm not the resident professional here, though, so what I'm saying is just what works for me.
Phillip Lee Thompson

Post by Phillip Lee Thompson »

Hey Bill,
Some years ago,I started using chrome finger picks -- same problem,loved the velvet touch they had ON the strings,but could not keep them from slipping on my fingers. Then I tried taking a sharp tiped pocket knife,and carved deep scratches INSIDE the picks. Like so -))))))))))))
The slipping stopped. Phillip.
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

I do not play professionally, but sometimes do play for a couple of hours at a time. I find that the thinner picks, .013 nickel silver, are more flexible and and tend to expand and contract with the finger and therefore stay in place better for me.

Tony
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I switched to plastic picks on a whim about six months ago,I use three finger picks,wish I had switched years ago,I like the tone they get,Easy to fit your finger just hold them under hot tap water and mold them to fit perfect.They are much more comfortable than metal.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL> Doug Rolfe
I have posted here before, but we make a pick that has an electric wire shrink wrap applied to it. This came out of my own needs as to try and keep the picks on hurt my fingers after a few minutes. That doesn't happen any more as the wrap pads the pick as well as keeping them on. It is offered in both Nationals and Kaisers. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, do you have pictures of these picks? How much of the pick does the shrink wrap cover?

Thanks,
Bryan
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I just lick my fingers first. Works great and gives the ladies in the audience a little "turn-on".