Picking Permutations

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christo Huntington

Picking Permutations

Post by Christo Huntington »

Hi all,

Took the dive into learning all the different picking permutations on steel. Taking this super slow to make sure I build good picking habits. Limiting my daily practice 6 permutations seems to be the sweet sport for where I'm at in my learning journey. Let me know what you think and consider subscribing to my channel!

Link to today's video: https://youtu.be/5tKMOBkcXPo

Steels: Mullen G2 D10, 1975 Sho~Bud LDG, Custom "Lefty Steel" made in Missouri
Amps: Little Walter PF89, Fender Deluxe Reverb (Reissue)
Effects: Telonics FP-100D Multi-Taper Volume Pedal, Polytune 3 tuner, Dunlop CBM9 Wah-Wah, Exotic Effects SP Compressor, Exotic Effects EP Booster, Ibanez TS-9, Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron envelope filter, Boss DM-2w Delay (Waza Craft), TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb
Accessories/Extras/Software: Steelers Choice Sidekick (built August 2022), Shure SM57, Focusrite 2i2
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Nice video! So...when was the last time you played that custom "Lefty Steel" made in Missouri? :lol: I'd rather play the LDG too...
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Christo Huntington

John,

Thanks for your comment and support! I last played my "Lefty Steel" a few weeks ago. After playing it, I'm really glad to have the LDG. The Lefty Steel can't muster the same tone, tuning stability, or general ease of use that the LDG can. That said, I'm really glad to still have it around because I may break it down to really understand how the instrument functions and learn how to fix a steel myself.
Effects: Telonics FP-100D Multi-Taper Volume Pedal, Polytune 3 tuner, Dunlop CBM9 Wah-Wah, Exotic Effects SP Compressor, Exotic Effects EP Booster, Ibanez TS-9, Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron envelope filter, Boss DM-2w Delay (Waza Craft), TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb
Accessories/Extras/Software: Steelers Choice Sidekick (built August 2022), Shure SM57, Focusrite 2i2
Peter Ellman

Post by Peter Ellman »

I’m working on exactly the same thing right now. I was trying to get through all 24 each day but maybe less is more
Christo Huntington

I think less is definitely more early on. I’m glad to hear someone else is learning this with me!
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

Paul’s perms are the first thing I do when I set down to practice! I go through 4 a day, which gets me through all 24 once a week
Christo Huntington

Awesome, Doug! That’s a great way to cover them all regularly and keep your picking hand ready. I follow a similar schedule now that I know them.
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Is there a published list or course of all these "perms"

Thanks in advance
Bryce
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Christo Huntington

Hi Bryce! The full list of perms (tabbed out) is on Paul Franklin’s Applications course. It might also be published for free somewhere else online, but the course purchase is a no-brainer for any serious steel player. Hope that helps!
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Many thanks

I'm happy to pay for his instruction. I didn't know what course to look at. I've worked on several already, including the Bakersfield, which I really enjoy.
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Christo Huntington

No problem, glad I could help! I have really enjoyed the instruction from the PF/MMM courses thus far. Let me know if you like it when the time comes.
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

Christo Huntington wrote:Hi Bryce! The full list of perms (tabbed out) is on Paul Franklin’s Applications course. It might also be published for free somewhere else online, but the course purchase is a no-brainer for any serious steel player. Hope that helps!

I totally agree. The Paul Franklin course is a no brainer if you're serious about learning. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the course:

https://www.mmmlearn.com/courses/the-pa ... thod-e9-c6
Last edited by Mark Greenway on 26 Oct 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo Huntington

I wish all the beginners could have access to it or have knowledge of it as soon as they learn of the instrument, Mark!
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

I wish they could too Christo. I see what it has done for you and Tracer James and Boo Miller. Boo just landed a job playing for Gene Watson. I sure wish this course was around when I first started. I have seen so many guys like you progress so fast taking that course.
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Link to $99 Applications course: Applications:E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox
Mark Greenway wrote:
Christo Huntington wrote:Hi Bryce! The full list of perms (tabbed out) is on Paul Franklin’s Applications course. It might also be published for free somewhere else online, but the course purchase is a no-brainer for any serious steel player. Hope that helps!

I totally agree. The Paul Franklin course is a no brainer if you're serious about learning. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the course:

https://www.mmmlearn.com/courses/the-pa ... thod-e9-c6