James Burton on Pedal Steel with Ricky Nelson

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

That crash happened not to far from Texarkana at Dekalb Texas. They were in a DC-3 and was a fire in airplane and they made an emergency landing in a field. Think the pilot got out but the rest perished in the fire. Later determined that fire was caused by a heater in rear of plane by FAA.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

That's Ricky with Burton and James Kirkland the bass player on the show. This is just a promo for Rickenbacker. That arch top was a dud and never played by Nelson. (Not sure but I don't think Kirkland ever played the Rick on the show). I have never seen another picture of or heard of James playing steel, live or on record. He certainly loved it and was was influenced by it, but didn't seem interested in messing with it. He did play excellent dobro, both Spanish (fretted) and barred..
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I first saw some of those Ric promo photos in Richard Smith's 1987 Rickenbacker book:

A prominent example of Burton's simple but effective Dobro work is featured on Richie Furay's classic A Child's Claim To Fame from Buffalo Springfield Again, circa 1967:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inKBgmFy6oo
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

It's just a guess: it's maybe him, since he played guitar on the record. There are a few splashes of steel on there like at 9:00 on Sing Me Back Home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKIrHa3AjI
the steel at the 19:50 mark sounds more like Sneaky Pete though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKIrHa3AjI
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Andy DePaule

The DC-3

Post by Andy DePaule »

Henry Matthews wrote:That crash happened not to far from Texarkana at Dekalb Texas. They were in a DC-3 and was a fire in airplane and they made an emergency landing in a field. Think the pilot got out but the rest perished in the fire. Later determined that fire was caused by a heater in rear of plane by FAA.
The DC-3 is generally a very reliable aircraft. When I used to skydive back in the 80's & 90's they had one at the drop zone in Lodi, California.
Used to pack about 25 to 30 of us in theirs on the floor.

Some have been in operation since the 30's I think both as passenger and military aircraft. In fact I made my first 5 jumps from them when I was 17 and a new recruit.

Some 3rd world airlines still have them in operation.
I seem to remember that Henry is right about the sad details of the accident. :cry:

Does anyone know for sure if Tom had left the band already or had just not been on that tour?
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I recall seeing James play a Ric 6-string on the show.

Looked like a 330. ;-)
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Andy, Tom had left the band quite a while before. They weren't traveling with a steel player at that time.