First Pedal Steel Purchase -- Need Advice

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I started playing in socks or bare feet now shoes hamper the pedal feel and kind of throw me off. Now I move on to the pants, all my practice has been done in my under ware and pants hinder the feel of the knee levers on my leg which can throw me off. Loose shorts will work for me but the shoes are a problem. Practice practice practice and then practice some more.
Practice practice practice...in your socks n underwear? That’s GOT to be a first on the Forum. I’m trying to think whether Paul, Jeff, or Joe have ever suggested this. Nope, nope I don’t think so! Although there is one very accomplished forumite here who has been known to show up for his punk/metal band gigs in similar attire, and Joe Wright has probably played in a chicken costume.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Well … some people let you get away with playing shoeless but you gotta wear pants on stage. Comfortable but fairly snug jeans work best for me so the folds don’t catch the knee levers. No baggies, no cargo pants. I also never got the playing in socks thing, but I’m a tenderfoot. A firm yet pliable sole shoe like a loafer is what I like best.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

K Maul wrote:Well … some people let you get away with playing shoeless but you gotta wear pants on stage. Comfortable but fairly snug jeans work best for me so the folds don’t catch the knee levers. No baggies, no cargo pants. I also never got the playing in socks thing, but I’m a tenderfoot. A firm yet pliable sole shoe like a loafer is what I like best.
The thing I hate the most about playing. I fully support the wearing of just underwear on stage for this very reason. But, I have to have shoes on.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Allen Merrell

Post by Allen Merrell »

Fred, LOL , I did mention loose shorts but I need to feel the knee lever on my leg. Now for the socks, I am not the only one here who plays without shoes I am not calling no names though. Waffle pedals and light touch will work well if you have tender feet. I learned this from another no shoe player here on the forum. LOL as I recall I once heard Jerry Reed liked playing bare foot and in his BVD's. My Routine every morning, up at 5AM , make pot of coffee, drink a cup and off to the music room ( YES , bare foot, underware and hair not combed also ) here I stay for the next 2+ hours, practice. Best time of the day, LOL.
72 ShoBud 6153 D10, Encore, Nashville 112, Boss Katana, Spark 40, Quilter TT12, GT001, ProFex II,Jackson Pitch changer (Love this bender)
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Well okeedokee there, saddle pals...But mebbe try some yoga pants? I’m just concerned about your ticket sales.

Thanks for the laughs, Alan 🤠
Archie Walpole

How should you start

Post by Archie Walpole »

For your consideration. My two cents as a 68 yo mediocre 6 string classic rocker turned pedal steeler: I have wanted to sit behind and learn how to play a pedal steel for 50…yes….50 years…..and finally took the plunge. Such that you live in PA, make an appointment with Billy Cooper, get down there….and put your needs/wants in his practiced hands. Billy will be surgical in putting you in the right gear. As a beginner, if you’re looking for a very good instrument, look at his selection of GFIs. If you’re looking for both a good instrument and all the trappings of polished aluminum, get a Williams or a Rittenberry right out of the blocks. I’m gassing for a Ritt already. Billy will not steer you wrong. He is an incredibly honest businessman….and a great steeler. Good luck in your quest.
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

For what it's worth I bought a Carter U-12 for my first steel. 20 years later and still working, I just this week managed to learn the B6 side and theory. One neck, both tunings. Something to ponder if you haven't made the plunge yet. Jeff Newman's courses are fantastic, especially the Universal E9/B6 course.
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
George Haedicke

Post by George Haedicke »

It will definitely take a long time to master the basics. It took me 8 1/2 years to have my teacher tell me to work on harder things.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Pete Burak wrote:If you have not seen this chart linked below, you may find it helpful.
It shows all the chords you can get with various pedal/lever/string/fret combinations.
FYI,
Pete

http://www.cryinsteel.com/download.html
MY eyes glaze over looking at charts like that, Steely Pete! Well designed and nice fonts, though, I do admire and approve of that at least!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Michael Rademacher

Post by Michael Rademacher »

Pete, thanks for that link! I saved the charts for E9 to disk, then uploaded the 24" x 36" one to Office Max for printing. Tomorrow I will have a laminated foam-backed poster to put nearby while I learn. It came out to $85 with tax but worth it for the time it will save me later. I also chipped in to the creator for the trouble of making this very nice reference.
Shijie/Gretsch/Taylor
Rittenberry SD10 Prestige 4x4 almost ready!
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If you live in the Pittsburgh Pa. Check out Humming Bird Music in Sugar Creek Ohio. About 100 miles west of Pittsburgh. Rick Trowyer the owner is a great musician and a great steel player. He usually has several steels in stock.

Lot of great Amish Food in the area diners for a meal too.
Landon Johnson

A bit late [perhaps but Tony is dead on.

Post by Landon Johnson »

Buying a pedal steel to grow into is one thing, but the minute you drift away from E9th Emmons you lose a lot of resources; namely YouTube. Not much C6 on there, much less B6th, Uni or Extended E9th.

I went for three years solely learning via YouTube (Mickey Adams, Steel Picking, etc.) and practicing a lot. I am now gigging regularly and, after 5 years have bought my first Pedal Steel with more than 3 and 5. I only bought the extra pedals because they came with the guitar - I certainly do not need them as I've yet to scratch the surface of 3 and 5.

The chord structures of rock and blues generally do not require the extra controls you mention (although they would sure be fun). My unsolicited advice is to consider a budget - priced lightweight pro model (Justice S-10, BMI Axius, etc.) and then when you go down the road apiece you can get the all-frills deluxe model, keeping the S-10 to toss in the car for a gig.

Paid gigs I'll take my Williams, which is a beast and a work of art. Free gigs and jam sessions it'll be the ProLite which plays just fine but is no-frills..
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.
Paul Mozen

Post by Paul Mozen »

I have been playing with no shoes, in fact I adjusted my pedals to be very light touch so they don't hurt my feet. I'm thinking I should practice with shoes on though because my c pedal is so light I could be on it and not even know. So I think medium to light pressure is best.
and..... please wear pants on stage. :D