Can anyone tell me which tuning this is?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Can anyone tell me which tuning this is?

Post by Hans Henrik Rasmussen »

Hi,

Can someone tell which tuning the lap steel player uses in this video? Great band by the way, Hermanos Gutiérrez:

https://youtu.be/zwD0Mrejwbk

Thanks!
Hans
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I would say the exact tuning he has is less critical because of the style he is playing...almost exclusively single note, so it's both less important what tuning he's using but also a little harder to pick out, since I can't hear the intervals or a strum to bely the tuning.

I can surmise that he had a G, C, and E string which he is playing most of the melody on. Same intervals as strings 4, 2, and 1 in conventional C6. You can see a lot of fret 0-3-5 on the G string (5th, b7th, root), and then 0-3-5 on a C string (root, b3rd, 4th) and then I caught a fret 3-1 on what must be the top E string (5th to 4th). So it could be C6 and he's just sticking to those strings (didn't watch it all the way through). Could be C6, or just open C. They sound good though! Nice groove, nice use of looping.
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks Nic! I will try those. I have played almost exclusively in open D and when I tried that briefly, it sounded way off so I wanted to check on here before I ventured deeper into it :)
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Nic answered. Doesn't matter the tuning.

Not complex. Good groove but you can play on any tuning.

You could literally tune it to anything. Likely for this style it may be an open D or G or E.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks - and true but you still have some pull-offs and stuff so still nice to be in the right tuning. Anyway, open C seems to be working pretty well for me.