Specific shoe question, 2 types

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Hansen

Specific shoe question, 2 types

Post by Brett Hansen »

Have any of you ever tried playing with the Organmaster brand shoes that professional organ players use on the pedals?

Have any of you ever tried playing in old style bowling shoes?

I don't want to start another huge footwear thread. I'm looking specifically at the 2 types only. Looking for first hand experience from you guys.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Interesting questions. Following.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Christopher Woitach

Post by Christopher Woitach »

I looked up the Organmaster shoes - I know that even with my guitar 1” higher than standard, I can’t wear anything with heels. I attempted boots once to try, absolutely impossible, especially because I keep my guitar level (I know, many disagree with this). My right leg becomes glued to underside of steel, untenable.

Bowling shoes are something I never considered - I’ll be interested to hear what people say.
Christopher Woitach
cw@affmusic.com
www.affmusic.com
Ron Forrest

Post by Ron Forrest »

Hey Dude shoes are the best shoes that I've found to play steel in. Light weight but still look dressier than tennis shoes.

https://www.heydudeshoesusa.com/product ... arbon-blue

Ron
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

This is a topic I've been waiting for. As a new pedal player, as opposed to lap steel, and having both flat feet and ankle problems, finding the right shoe has been a challenge. I got a pair of Hey Dude's and they seem pretty good so far. but really interested in those organ shoes
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

When I first read this, I thought what a ridiculous idea. I've always told pedal steelers you should be able to play in any and all footwear. Whatever matches the clothing you are wearing. It just seemed a bit anal to have a particular pair of shoes to play pedals.

But, after passing by this thread several times, I decided to look in on the Organmaster site. Those actually look pretty doggone good with the less cluttered conventional sole welt and all that. The heel height would work good for me as I used to always wear boots.

I've been wearing Skechers Chads for more comfort lately instead of hard leather shoes and boots I generally wear, but they seem to make me lean on the adjacent pedals too much.

The price of these Organmasters is very reasonable. They are something I'm considering. If any of you are or start using them, I'd also be interested in some comments about these shoes. https://organmastershoes.com/
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 19 Sep 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Interesting
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

cowboy boots
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I'm thinking I wouldn't care for the fairly high heel on Organmaster footware, any comments from wearers how that works and feels for pedal work?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Stan Joyce

Post by Stan Joyce »

I can't wear cowboy boots because of the heel. The bands want me to wear decent looking shoes. I have bad ankles wide feet size 14. Zeba shoes work well but do not look good on me. Hey dude looks good but they don't seem to be wide enough.
Brett Hansen

Post by Brett Hansen »

Ron Forrest wrote:Hey Dude shoes are the best shoes that I've found to play steel in. Light weight but still look dressier than tennis shoes.

https://www.heydudeshoesusa.com/product ... arbon-blue

Ron
I'm going to check these out too
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Merrell Jungle Mocs, leather or suede. Comfy & slip-on, leather or suede. My favorite everyday shoes, steel guitar or not.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Merrell Jungle Mocs, leather or suede. Comfy & slip-on, leather or suede. My favorite everyday shoes, steel guitar or not.[/i]
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I played Ollie Strong’s Fulawka D10 a couple of weeks ago when he was in town (getting a lifetime achievement award) and I could barely fit my left leg under his guitar. Being around the same height as me, I asked him how he did it and replyed
“I don’t wear a shoe on my left foot”.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Just checked out the Organmaster shoe site. $65? These might be my next pair!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I just ordered a pair. Let you know how I like them.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Wore cowboy boots all the time for many years;I liked having something under my heel when playing, but walking got more and more uncomfortable so I went to tennis shoes, with a black pair for gigs so as not to draw notice.

Some country folks prefer(at least the appearance of) leather boots to beards and Roman sandals.

EDIT: Been watching this thread.I miss having a taller heel and I'd be real interested to know how those Organmaster shoes are for walking and standing. ;-)
Lee Baucum

Re: Specific shoe question, 2 types

Post by Lee Baucum »

Brett Hansen wrote:Have any of you ever tried playing with the Organmaster brand shoes that professional organ players use on the pedals?

Have any of you ever tried playing in old style bowling shoes?

I don't want to start another huge footwear thread. I'm looking specifically at the 2 types only. Looking for first hand experience from you guys.
Hopefully, this discussion can be confined to these two styles of shoes, as requested.

I just took a look at the Organmaster shoes.

I wonder if there is a source for old style bowling shoes.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

The Organmaster shoes look very interesting to me, but will the suede sole hold up? I tend to put my playing shoes (Puma Driftcat driving shoes) on at the beginning of gigs and don't remove them until the gig is over. So I'm walking on all kinds of different surfaces during breaks. I suspect a suede sole and heel would wear out pretty quick unless I changed back to street shoes at the end of every set. That seems a bit inconvenient.

Bowling shoes have soles that are intended to slide. I don't want my foot sliding on the pedals. But I've never actually tried them on PSG.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I wouldn't think from the site info that these are meant for walking...solely for playing. They mention feeling the pedals as you play. Being suede soles, I don't expect they would last very long walking around.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

As I recall, jazz great Daniel Jones wears something similar to bowling shoes when playing pedal steel guitar.

Time to go back and review the videos of his band, Standard Deviations.

Here is a link to a photo:

https://i0.wp.com/cuhonorsprogram.com/w ... nnamed.jpg

~Lee
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

The Hey dude shoe are nice. I have a couple of pairs, very similar from 'Wally World' and they were only about $25.00. Oh, by the way. I just looked at my facebook page. and there's a Hey Dude add already there. No, it can't be that somebody is looking at everything we post, can it?????
Scott Spanbauer

Post by Scott Spanbauer »

Lee Baucum wrote:As I recall, jazz great Daniel Jones wears something similar to bowling shoes when playing pedal steel guitar.

Time to go back and review the videos of his band, Standard Deviations.

Here is a link to a photo:

https://i0.wp.com/cuhonorsprogram.com/w ... nnamed.jpg

~Lee
They are indeed bowling shoes. He says he got em at a bowling alley. I wear skateboard shoes, because I get them free from my (adult) kids. I've seen other folks wearing Converse Chuck Taylors. Both have a fairly thin sole.
Carter D10, Emmons GS10, T8 Stringmaster, 50s Fender Deluxe
johnnyblueheart.com
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I have always worn cowboy boots for work, playing PSG, even to church. I have and ride horses so cowboy boots are required.

A few years ago we refinished our hardwood floors and my wife bought me some slip on shoes with smooth, hard, soles to put on when I came in the House. I solemnly promised to leave the boots on the side porch and put on the slippers. I started playing in them at home and figured out I really like them.

I don't wear them outside, but I love to play steel guitar in them. Spurs don't work on them either.
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262765233534?v ... 1e49d2771f <<< These have that Organmaster type heel but maybe a bit more stylish. And some of us might still have a pair.