Warning - Not country! (A Whiter Shade of Pale)

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donny Hinson

Warning - Not country! (A Whiter Shade of Pale)

Post by Donny Hinson »

Here's a song a that few of the "out of the box" steelers might enjoy, an old rock number with a really different twist...and some cool pedal steel.

Enjoy! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHPT87RF74

Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Funny you should post this. A couple months ago we were working on this song. We stayed closer to the original version. Not crazy about this attempt, but it is different. Thanks Donny
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

For what it's worth, I have that song tabbed out for E9th. :D
Erv
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

A little deja vu, Donny - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=146798 - in fact, you were in on that discussion.

I still like it. I have loved the Procol Harum original since the day it hit the street. My guess is that if I had had access to a Hammond organ at that time, I never woulda' been a guitar player. I was a classical piano player at the time, but woulda' killed for a Hammond organ. Just didn't have the dough. My entire 1967 several months of full-time wages on a tobacco farm wouldn't cover half of what even a spinet cost, without the Leslie.
Joe Krumel

Wsop

Post by Joe Krumel »

This would surely fit a modern country show. I thought it was very well done,kinda liked it.I'm as classic country @rock as you can get,but these folks are top shelf music makers.
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

The Steel player is Barry Sless, currently touring with Bob Weir's Wolf Brothers.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Dave Mudgett wrote:A little deja vu, Donny - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=146798 - in fact, you were in on that discussion.
Yep, and 14 years ago, at that! But with the new members we've gained (who aren't on the "country carousel"), it's as good a time as any for a reprise, don't you think? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I used to see Barry playing steel with Cowboy Jazz in Baltimore around 30-odd years ago. (Skip to the 30 minute mark in this video to catch some of his stuff.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNF6n3NuWYc
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yes, I meant to say that I think it's a good time to revisit. :idea:
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

G.E. Smith (of "Saturday Night Live" fame) on lead guitar.
Last edited by Ron Funk on 9 Sep 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

I like that rendition. I always liked that song. The steel players part was just perfect for what they were doing. Cool!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

The steel playing was fine. As far as the arrangement of the tune, I thought it butchered a truly beautiful song.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Tony Glassman wrote:The steel playing was fine. As far as the arrangement of the tune, I thought it butchered a truly beautiful song.
I felt the same way hearing the new version of Tennessee Whiskey but he probably sold more records than George Jones did because more young people listen to country music today. Likewise someone that never heard George Jones would think he doesn't even know the song Tennessee Whiskey. 😂
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I like it! Thanks for posting this Donny! Nice tone out that Williams, it had some edge to it but he could still play 3ds without them sounding horrible, which, IMHO, is usually the case when you have too much overdrive or distortion. I have an overdrive pedal called a Bad Horse, which is a Klon clone and it gets a nice edgy sound like this that still sounds good when I play 3ds. I've always loved this song!
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Ron Funk wrote:G.E. Smith (of "Saturday Night Live" fame) on lead guitar.
That's right. He's played live and recorded for many big name artist. Fender even builds a G.E Smith Telecaster like his.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Thanks for sharing! A really good example of pedal steel guitar in a non-traditional county music setting. Sending that link to all my young bandmates, as they're getting deeper into the 60's/70's cosmic cowboy sounds of my youth.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Wasn't sure I was going to like it because of the opening vamp, but the female vocalist drew me in immediately, Really loved it by the end and the fact he was playing a Williams. I just got a Williams!
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc