Dekley pickup replacement???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Dekley pickup replacement???

Post by Richard Sinkler »

On this Dekley pre-slimline S10 I have, I may want to change the pickup in the future. How does it mount? It appears to be a narrow mount pickup, but there are no visible mounting screws from the top of the guitar. The pickup height screws are accessed from the undercarriage with 2 nuts on screws that come through the guitar from the pickup. If I was smart, I would have checked the pickup mounting out before I rodded and strung up the guitar.

Has anyone ever changed out the pickup on this model guitar?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I did one several years ago... Actually installed an old red colored Marlen pickup into it, and it sounded magnificent... To be honest i don't recall precisely how it was mounted in there, but do recall it was no problem at all removing the old one, and then installing a pickup from a totally different design guitar into it... Should be no problem at all getting most narrow mount pickups in there.
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Willem Langeveld

Post by Willem Langeveld »

I replaced my pre-slimline S12 pickup with an Alumitone. Greatly improved the sound and no more hum!

The nuts at the bottom are difficult to get to, but can be removed without taking all the rods off. I don’t remember how I did that.

Installing the new pickup, however, had quite a pucker factor. The slot shape is too narrow and the rounded slot corners wouldn’t let the Alumitone fit in, even though the bottom of the Alumitone is narrow enough for the nominal slot width. So I had to make the corners of the slot more square using a Dremel tool. And lemme tell you, packawood is TOUGH! But once you start there is no going back and eventually it fit in there.

There was no way the new pickup was going to “float” on some springs, however, and the threaded rods of the old pickup were anyway in the wrong place. So I found some long wood screws that fit and just solidly attached the new pickup to predrilled holes at the bottom of the slot. The edges of the Alumitone rest on the top of the neck block, and in the end it all looks perfect, and at the perfect distance from the strings!

The Alumitone can be wired two ways for slightly different tonal qualities, so I mounted a switch to an aluminum bracket that is held in place with the nut that holds the 1/4 inch jack in place. And so I can switch between two sound profiles, one a bit brighter than the other.

I was quite happy with how it turned out. But, it was quite a struggle, and as they say, YMMV… :)

Willy.
Dekley S12 5-4 with Alumitone PU, Telonics Pro volume pedal, Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner, Peavey Nashville 112 with Strymon Big Sky reverb or Headrush Pedalboard with my own pedal steel patch, or Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb with Strymon Big Sky through the normal channel.