Steelguitar tuners.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Scott

Steelguitar tuners.

Post by Ron Scott »

I ordered some Grover tuner keys but they are too small. Any idea's for getting them from Grover or other. My sperzel tuners are real hard to turn. I did try oiling them but didn't work. Sperzel does not make them for steelguitar anymore. I know some of you have replaced yours with Grover but what size for a Franklin. Thanks Ron
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Ron,
I juyst read to NOT oil the tuners it gums them up.
It was suggested to give them a good soaking in naptha (lighter fluid) to clean them out......
Don't know how bad yours are but might be worth a try.

Sam.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Yes I was told the same and I got some Acetone like sperzel told me and I am going to soak them in that and it will break it up some. I was told by them to use some Lith-grease on it then. Hardest part is finding the right one for your Steel guitar. The Sperzel's work on most of them but some are a little hard. I got a package of Grovers but they don't fit and I'm not going to drill on my stock head. I will get these working (I hope). Thanks Samuel
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I learned this a few year ago, When I changed keys on a MSA S10 Classic. I found Grover has changed to Metric measurements for the world market. The old tuners had a 3/8" housing section that went through the key head. The new ones have a 10mm housing that fits through the key head. You need a 10mm drill or 13/32" drill to enlarge the key head hole so the new keys will fit. What I thought would be a couple hour job. Wrong, Took a lot longer than planned.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

The Grovers I have are like that too and I'm not drilling on my Franklin so they can fit. You know Grovers are made in China now so that is a problem too. Changes are not always for the best. Thanks Bobby.
Last edited by Ron Scott on 3 Sep 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Metzger

Post by Bob Metzger »

Look for older Grover 102 Rotomatics on eBay; they come up from time to time.

Bob M.
Bob M.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Thanks Bob I will watch for them.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I replaced the Sperzel's on my Franklin (all 20) with new ones in (I think) 2007. I was asked what steel they were for and I told them a Franklin. Got the right sized tuners (and better than the originals from 82).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

In swore never to use Grovers after their dobro slot head tuner heads started cracking and despite numerous attempts to contact failed to return my queries. Their web site had no phone number.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Yes but They don't make them for Steelguitars anymore. They did tell me to just soak the ones I have in fingernail polish remover with acetone. Not all of them are stiff so that's a plan now. I ordered the Grover but the pin never lined up and the shaft that goes into my head was too big and has to be drilled out and that's not going to happen. I tried that and was able to get some grease back in. Thanks Jack, Just not an option anymore.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

John, The reason you can't get in touch with them is that they are made in China now and I don't know how long ago they moved. Thanks John