Buffer and volume pedal compatibility

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Hepworth

Buffer and volume pedal compatibility

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Hi Folks
Could someone please explain why when I use a buffer between guitar and volume pedal then the taper is totally wrong .....most of the volume increase is at the end of the travel and unusable .The pedal is an ernie ball side loading model ....old but is mint unused condition.
When just guitar to pedal the taper is fine.I am using a peavey vegas amp .If I plugged the guitar into the buffer and then straight into the amp and use the in and out on the front would this bring the taper back to how it should be.If not what is the remedy please ?
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

I believe that the buffer should be after the volume pedal. The pickup output presents a high impedance signal to the volume pedal and makes it happy, whereas the buffer output presents a low impedance signal. PSG > Vol Pedal > any FX pedals > then to the amp. See how that works....
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

If the buffer you're using is amplifying the signal, then that would make the taper seem different. Try turning the amp up or down and see how that affects the taper. ;-)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

What buffer do you have?

I have a Goodrich MatchBro (dobro simulator) that is designed to be connected between the steel and volume pedal. It has a mini "Matchbox" which is a buffer with low impedance on the output. I see no difference in volume pedal operation, either a Goodrich pot pedal or an electronic VP such as a Hilton or Telonics.

Most Ernie Ball's, from what I see posted have a 250K pot, where the steel guitar VP's use a 500K (audio taper) pot. The pot resistance difference could be the problem as a volume pedal (properly wired) is a "variable" voltage divider.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Curiosity question: Can the 250k ohm pot in an Ernie Ball pedal be changed to a 500K pot? My assumption in yes. Reason for asking is that along with the Dekley PSG and NV112, I got a beat up EB pedal. Wouldn't mind fixing it up for a spare.

If so, the OP might consider changing out the pot.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

I put a Dunlop 470k pot in my VPJR and love it.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

I replaced the pot with a 100k and it seems to have cured the taper issue going straight into amp ( buffered with the new Fender "set level and buffer" unit )
Also with the old pot by using the in / out at front of Vegas that also cured the taper as well .
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

that weird taper behavior kinda suggests the volume pedal is wired or connected backwards.

It should behave with the exact same taper regardless of a buffer there or not.

B
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Thanks for all the replies.Could I ask you Brad....if I wanted to convert say a 500K pot to low impedance can it be done by putting a resistor in parallel to drop the value accordingly. Would it go between the input lug on the pot and earth ? Thanks in advance.
Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Curiosity question: Can the 250k ohm pot in an Ernie Ball pedal be changed to a 500K pot? My assumption in yes. Reason for asking is that along with the Dekley PSG and NV112, I got a beat up EB pedal. Wouldn't mind fixing it up for a spare.

If so, the OP might consider changing out the pot.
Yes Richard, I forgot where I got the last pot I bought.Probably from
Tom Bradshaw. The last time I broke a 12 year old rigging string a got some extras as well.
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Dave Hepworth wrote:....if I wanted to convert say a 500K pot to low impedance can it be done by putting a resistor in parallel to drop the value accordingly. Would it go between the input lug on the pot and earth ? Thanks in advance.
Putting a fixed resistance in parallel will change the taper action of the pot, as well as the volume level.
Philip Mitrakos

Post by Philip Mitrakos »

. .
Last edited by Philip Mitrakos on 31 Jan 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I use the black box and I go out the guitar to the input of the bb
Out the black box to the volume pedal.
Philip Mitrakos

Post by Philip Mitrakos »