Plexiglass lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Henry

Plexiglass lap steel

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi, does anyone know if a piece of plexiglass 1/2  thick flex if used as a body for a lap steel?

CELL CAST ACRYLIC/PLEXIGLASS CLEAR SHEET 1/2 " x 4 " x 24 "
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

It will flex. Cut a piece, put it on your leg in the middle of the plexiglass and see if you can bend it by pressing on each end. I'll bet you can. :cry:
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thank you Bill, I’ll try that. Perhaps a 1” thick piece may not flex!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Brian, I think you might get away with 3/4"? That's just a guess. I'd go with C6 tuning so the strings aren't too heavy. Perhaps if you made a box and put pieces underneath along the perimeter it would stiffen the 1/2" up? I don't know what look you are after, but if you like the look of screws showing through the plexiglass you could mount the sides by drilling and tapping the legs so to speak and counterboring or countersinking the screws in your top piece. Making a box, would most likely enhance the sound somewhat? Just a thought.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

They made a few Plexy Pianos for Richard Kleidermans and the like "entertainers". Even thou a piano has a metal scale frame, they never went into history as good sounding. But they looked "cool" and that was 'bout all they did.

Just like billet aluminum neck steels never matched the tonal response of CAST aluminum steels like the original Fripans, Plexi is just too "pasty". I will suck up your overtones like a sponge and will loose tuning (bend in).
You want MASS yes, but brittle. Even later (WWII and post) less fragile (less prone to break) bakelite formulas used on Rickenbacher's B-series guitar have seen less acclaim for that very reason.

Some trials were made with glass stringed instruments too. No success there either. Did we know that glass is not completely "frozen" at livable temperatures? Bah! Older building's glass panes will be wider on the bottom than the top... as it slowwwwwwly "melts" down.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Darvin Wilhoite has or had a transparent MSA pedal steel. He might be able to tell you what material it is made from and it's strength.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Darvin Wilhoite has or had a transparent MSA pedal steel. He might be able to tell you what material it is made from and it's strength.
Yes, MSA-Micro build a plexi model PSG. It was intended for demonstration purposes, from what Maurice told me. MSA's have their bodies screwed to a 360deg bolted frame. It should hold tuning (from the frame)... the tonal characteristics are for the owner to comment on.

... J-D.
Last edited by J D Sauser on 30 Aug 2022 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

I don't know the details, but there was this.