Looking for a good lapsteel stand

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David DeLoach

Looking for a good lapsteel stand

Post by David DeLoach »

I'm looking for a good stand to hold my lap steels when I'm not playing them. Just like a guitar stand, but for lap steels.

I've used mandolin stands (see pictures below), but they aren't very stable with steels - one gentle bump and the steel will fall over.

Seems there should be something out there for steels. If not, why don't one of you guys who are good at building things start making them? :)

Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

That's a pretty tall order. There are so many shapes, lengths, etc. it would be very difficult to build one that would work well for all. What you have is what it out there, a universal stand to somewhat fit the masses. Unless you are willing to spend the $$$$ and get a custom one built for your particular guitar I think you will have a tough time finding what you want. Just my $.02's ..... :)
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
David DeLoach

Post by David DeLoach »

Excuse my primitive cave man drawings, but it seems something like this could accommodate lap steels of various shapes & sizes.

A shallow (1" - 2") three sided box with the upper side open. Maybe some foam to trim to the steel's shape to fit inside the box?

Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Not a caveman drawing at all. That's a nice idea you have there and doesn't look too hard to make.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

Try this:

Take an acoustic stand like this:

Put a "shelf" made of wood, a small cardboard box, a small cigar box, or an old license plate across the bottom arms, like so:

Add a piece of protective foam ...

and store your most precious lapsteel safely and securely.

If you need an acoustic stand you still have one.
Jeff Repp

Post by Jeff Repp »

A bit spendy but really good quality and very stable. 3 width settings (I use the first, narrowest setting).

K&M Konig & Meyer 17540.013.55 Guitar Stand | Sturdy Heavy Duty Rubber Covered Adjustable Frame | Folds Flat Portable | Fits Electric Guitars | For Adult and Youth Musicians | Black https://a.co/d/5uCMqLz