Stu Schulman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

I too first met Stu in the 1970s in Austin, always admired his talent and kindness. I was delighted to get reacquainted with him at the SWSGA show and was honored to be asked to sit in (on harmonica) for his set there in 2019. Very, very sad news indeed.

- Slim
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I can only echo what has already been said here about Stu. A good friend to me from the very first time we spoke, and an inspiration in so many ways. And as Herb says, he had an incredible musical resume. This is a huge loss to so many. RIP Stu.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

So sad to see this. Stu was a good friend to me and to so many others. A funny guy with lots of cool stories. I will be missing him.
Chuck
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Like everyone here, I am sad & sorry to hear of this.
I came on the forum a few minutes ago & saw this.
Stu & I always talked quite a bit when we would see
each other. He was a really interesting person to talk
with.
R.I.P. my friend.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I had just started talking with Stu via the forum and email. We have mutual friends/bandmates. I was hoping to see him this summer. So sorry to hear this. Prayers to his family and all you who knew and admired him.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

This is terrible news...so sad. I've known Stu since 1976. Such a sweet guy, who had been through so much. Last time I saw him in Mesa a few years ago he brought me a box of Lindser tarts from New York. Shlepped them all the way to Arizona. That's the kind of guy he was.
Rest In Peace, Stu.

Stu & Ray Harrison...two good guys gone.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Shocked to hear this. I did know him well but he sent me a pickup and insisted on not accepting money for it. RIP Stu.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Here's how cool Stu was. This is his Desert Rose... You gotta be a pretty cool guy to have a steel like this.
Adios, amigo...

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I forget why it was changed out. This is what that looks like now....I mean RIGHT now. It is here in my shop.

Along with this to which I just added a knee lever and a split tuning end piece. Showed Stu a photo Monday.

Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I remember his posts in the Music Section about one of my favorite groups like Rhinoceros and Seatrain.
Terrible news.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

Just met him a few years ago, seemed like a sweetheart of a guy. I was looking forward to getting to know him. We'll have to do it on the other side, RIP Stu
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Geez. Stu was such a good guy and such a trooper despite all that was dished out to him. This is so hard to hear and such a terrible way to go, particularly when he was still so young in spirit and heart. RIP Stu. You are in all of our thoughts.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

What a shock. I exchanged emails with Stu on a number of occasions. This is tragic news. My prayers for his family and friends.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

This is tough news. A sweetheart of a guy, a fine musician, and a fellow lover of the Linzer Torte, a traditional favorite of my own Austrian family and their descendants. Godspeed, Stu.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

This is very sad news. We talked a few times and I could tell he was one of the good guys.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Stu and I both lived in the South Bay area of Los Angeles: Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Torrance. The absolute best club and hang in the South Bay was the Sweetwater Cafe in Redondo Beach.

These are shots I took at a club reunion/concert on Sept. 22, 2012. A featured returning player was Vince Gill and his daughter Jenny. Top shot he's with his friend Leslie.

Stu backed several acts that wonderful night. RIP, my friend.

E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Dupe pix deleted...
Last edited by John McClung on 7 Jul 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Jon Light wrote:I forget why it was changed out. This is what that looks like now....I mean RIGHT now. It is here in my shop.

Along with this to which I just added a knee lever and a split tuning end piece. Showed Stu a photo Monday.

Jon,

Sorry for the loss of your friend Stu, he had just gotten some Mullen parts from me for his Discovery and was exited about you installing them, he spoke very highly of you, as we all do.

I never got to know him but had some great chats with him and always enjoyed his posts.

My extreme condolences to you and his other friends wich it appears there are many.

Rest easy Stu.....
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Man. I just saw this, I am so upset, Stu was such a kind, warm and funny person, he sent me some Cd's as well, and weird thing is I just happened upon one of them on Monday, I will play it in his honor,

Fair well my friend, you touched many lives insuch a good way! RIP
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Sorry to hear this! I didn't know him, but had seen his posts on The Steel Guitar Forum. Prayers for his family and many friends.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

So sorry to hear this. I spent a memorable few days with Stu when he lived in Alaska years ago and I came through on tour, and always liked his contributions on the forum.

Good guy, gone too soon...
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I don't have words to describe how I feel. This covers it.
https://youtu.be/J-c07IwgW5Q
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Dayum! We never met in person, but a mutual old friend suggested we should be FB friends. Since then, I have learned he’s another of many who are much greater men than than they look through an iPad screen. I will miss him.

—Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Mike Neer wrote:Looking over some emails from Stu, he had just turned 70 on April 10.
There are so many incredible and funny stories Stu told, I don’t know if it would be cool to repeat them here, so only in person I guess.
Mike, I think it’s completely appropriate to honor Stu by sharing memories in our Gone Home section!!! He was a wonderful human being!
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Trust us, Donna. There's first hand accounts of great great people that are not forum-ready. That very fact is part of the Stu legacy.
Damn, I can't count the number of times in the course of the day that I thought "Ha! Let me share this with Stu...." Fuc.