My Dad

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Glenn Suchan

My Dad

Post by Glenn Suchan »

My dad, Jim passed away suddenly this past Thursday and I'm still in disbelief. He was 93 and struggled with handicapped legs. He and my mother lived in Port Charlotte, Florida until 2021 when my mother passed away from dementia in April of that year. At that time, my wife and I invited dad to come live in the apartment we'd built on our home. He lived with us for a year until his passing.

I referred to my dad as a true renaissance man. His interests included practicing hypnosis, scuba diving, painting, making stained glass art and making telescopes from scratch including hand grinding and polishing the optics. He also made the instrument used to measure the accuracy of the mirror curvatures. Two of his favorite telescope were an 8" Newtonian Reflector and an 8" Cassegrain Reflector. The mirrors on these reflector scopes were ground to an accuracy of approximately 1/20 wave, before coating. An amazing feat in itself. When he came to live with us he donated those two scopes and all of their construction notes to The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Astronomy.

Jim was also a World War II veteran and served in the US Army, 3rd Infantry Dv. in the Philippine Islands. One of my proudest moments was a surprise Father's Day gift to him: Last year I arranged for the two of us to go on the "Honor Flight Austin" to Washington DC (I went as a Vietnam War Veteran, serving in the USMC). We toured the US Military memorials and witnessed the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I've attached a photo of us from that flight:

My dad passed away the day before he and my mother would have celebrated 72 years of marriage. He's now with his sweetheart and our Lord. Rest In Peace, Dad. I love you.

Keep on picking'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

What an amazing man. Such a great photo.

Thank you for sharing his story with us, Glenn.

~Lee
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

God bless you Glenn. Peace and comfort to you. I'm grateful for your Dad's military service and yours as well. The Honors flights are terrific.

I'm glad you had all those years to spend with him and your Mom.

I'm sure you are proud and thankful. Sincere Condolences on your loss.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Glenn, what a wonderful Dad you had. That was a heartwarming story. I'm glad you got to spend that precious time with your father. God bless you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Glenn having lost my parents fairly close together I feel your pain and grief. Thinking of you.
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Very sorry for your loss Glen. Straight ahead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Sorry for your loss Glenn, but what a legacy to follow. Thank you both for your service.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

So sorry for your loss, Glenn. I have great respect for all US veterans, and thank you for your service. Sounds like your dad was an interesting gentleman.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

My sympathies to you and your family. What an amazing life he had ! The greatest generation.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

So sorry for your loss of your Dad Glenn.He looked a man whose life was well spent.

My daddy has been gone 21 years and I miss him every day.He was a WWII and Korean war veteran.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Heartfelt sympathies, Glenn; my thoughts are with all your family.

But what a life he led! It sounds as if he lived it to the full. I love the photo of you both and offer my appreciation to both of you for your service.

Rest in peace, Jim Suchan!
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

Glenn, I'm sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like an amazing person. You and your family will be in my thoughts. Thank you for your service to our country.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Very sorry for your loss, Glenn.
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, heartwarming story about your dad. I’m so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

Glenn, I would have liked your Dad. Wishing you peace.
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

WOW! What a great man. Loads of accomplishments. He lived a wonderful life.
Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for all of the Family.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Glenn, my old friend... What a man your father was! Your complete admiration, pride and love show in your wonderful homage to him. You and your family have my condolences, truly.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Glenn, I'm sorry to hear the sad news about your father's passing. From your description of him, he sounds like he was a very interesting man who lived a remarkable life. You and your family have my deepest condolences.
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

As an Army Band musician who plays regularly at the WWII memorial, so glad he was able to visit the memorial.

Thank you to him and yourself for your service to our great nation!
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

Gleen
Thank you that my prayers go out to you and family
He was a great man and vet both of you god bless you
All

Paul Michael wade
Us army 70 to 72