The Waltons

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Groner

The Waltons

Post by Bill Groner »

Last night the wife and I were watching the Waltons as we usually do most every night. We are on season 6 and were watching episode #3. Ben was in a Hawaiian Club with his date and there was a guy playing a Ric Panda. I don't know if this was posted before on the forum?? I just thought is was pretty cool. I think that season was from 1977. We loved that show in the 70's and it still is a great series to watch even today. It shows just how much the values of this country have deteriorated in a short 40+ years! Sure wish things were as they were in the 70's.

I really like the amount of gas you could get at Ike Goddsey's general store for a dollar back in 1934........
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
David M Brown

Re: The Waltons

Post by David M Brown »

Bill Groner wrote:Last night the wife and I were watching the Waltons as we usually do most every night. We are on season 6 and were watching episode #3. Ben was in a Hawaiian Club with his date and there was a guy playing a Ric Panda. I don't know if this was posted before on the forum?? I just thought is was pretty cool. I think that season was from 1977. We loved that show in the 70's and it still is a great series to watch even today. It shows just how much the values of this country have deteriorated in a short 40+ years! Sure wish things were as they were in the 70's.

I really like the amount of gas you could get at Ike Goddsey's general store for a dollar back in 1934........
thanks for your post. My wife and I recently saw that same episode.

and we feel the same way about values
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

now and then i catch hawaiian eye and the hawaiian bands they have on there.

must be me/tv

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I recall seeing a modern Martin being played on The Waltons. The guitar definitely wasn't period correct.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Merle Haggard also appeared on an Episode. I believe Jason plays a Martin.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

I remember John Boy telling Mary Ellen "don't worry, they'll get bigger " :lol:
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

See that........such a good brother encouraging his younger sister! Personally I thought her feet were big enough.
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

…thank you Bill.
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

…thank you, Bill.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

This has been discussed before. I don’t think a conclusion was reached, as to who the player was. I thought it might have been Duke Ching
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Earl Hamner had a Rickenbacker D16 in his den. I remember seeing it at his Brentwood (Los Angeles) home at a couple of his annual Christmas parties. In college in the Seventies I was friends with his daughter Caroline.
He served the moonshine at the parties. In the tv show, I think the characters were sisters, but in real life, Mr Hamner said they were mother/daughter. Or vice versa. I cannot recall. But I remember the Rick D16 and Caroline.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Don Crowl

Post by Don Crowl »

I saw the program on the Waltons that you mentioned. There were some very good Hawaiian sounds on the Rick. I tried unsuccessfully to see credits for who the players or the group was.