Mid-Sixties Kalamazoo KG series solidbody guitars

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jack Hanson

Mid-Sixties Kalamazoo KG series solidbody guitars

Post by Jack Hanson »

Does anyone play one of these? Gibson's answer to the Fender Musicmaster/Duo Sonic/Mustang. Reportedly assembled in the electronics building on Ransom Street (plant 2) on an assembly line of less-skilled artisans than the folks on Parsons Street (plant 1).
The bodies reportedly were molded from a composite pressed wood material sourced from a toilet seat manufacturer in Wisconsin. Skylark/Melody Maker (PU-380) pickup(s) and controls were mounted on the pickguard, ala Fender. Fender-like bolt-on necks with the standard Gibson 24-3/4" scale. They ran from 1965 to 1969 in both single and dual pickup models, either with or without a Maestro vibrato unit. Later models adopted an SG-style body shape.

Mine (top photo), once set up, has a distinctive quacky-spank to its sound. Definitely the most Fender-like instrument to matriculate from Michigan in that era. Lotsa bang for the buck with these, in my opinion.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Only saw a few, but most were unplayable. Don't recall whether it was warped necks or bodies, but left a very bad impression.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Modded mine with a Sentell P-90 & new electronics. Installed an upgrade stoptail & studs, and white plastic-buttoned Gotoh SD91s (in place of the original Japanese strip tuners). Needed to shim the neck a tad, but afterwards it was easy to set up. It tunes right up and stays there, and it plays like a dream. Super-simple single p/u, V & T. Sounds pretty good, too. Closer to a Fender than a Gibson.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Pretty cute. Always thought it seemed like it should be a fun guitar.