Remembering Ray Walker

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Sam White

Remembering Ray Walker

Post by Sam White »

I will never forget Ray Walker he was a very close friend of mine and it has been 5 years and seven months since he pass on to God. I think of him very often. He tried to help me to play steel guitar and when I left his home to go home buy the time I got home I forgot what he showed me. You could not ASK for a better friend as Ray.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Sam, it looks like everyone's forgotten ol' Ray except you and me. I thought Ray was a wonderful guy and a good friend. We talked on the phone quite a bit and used to hang some at the MASGA events. I have two Walker Pak-Seats which are the best I've ever encountered. I was sad when he passed away much to soon as he wasn't near old enough to check out but I know he's with the Lord now and pickin' that steel guitar.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Mark Fasbender

Post by Mark Fasbender »

ray helped me out on a number of occasions. real straight shooter.i wont forget his kindness and bravery. good man....wish id bought a steel seat too, my mistake. they were a testament to his ethic as was all the work he ever did on steels.
Art Beard

Ray Walker Sd10

Post by Art Beard »

I feel the same as U gentleman, Ray promoted the steel guitar, was a great human being, and friend. He sold me his Ray Walker custom SD10 in Blonde birdseye and Austrian leopard wood in 2007, when he needed cash for his wife's medical issues. Due to my financial problems fro ex robbing me blind while hospitalized 7 months, I had to sell it.
The good part is there is now a new steel player in Canada with a GREAT GUITAR, SERGE BERNARD. I WOULD DEAL WITH HIM OVER AND OVER. Even with international shipping problems
He is now a Forum member too.
CRAZY ARIZONA ART
RIP RAY, KEEP PICKING
"like an old stallion, lonely for freedom, still trying to out run the wind" Seals,Setser,& Davey.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.
Art Beard

Ray Walker Sd10

Post by Art Beard »

Finis Spier had a Ray Walker custom steel guitar for sale.
about page 5 or 6 now, $2200. such a deal. I am too broke, but Ray and Jack Palmer built exceptional steels.
CAA
"like an old stallion, lonely for freedom, still trying to out run the wind" Seals,Setser,& Davey.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

One time as I flew home the gentleman beside me introduced himself, Ray Walker. We had been to St Louis to the convention. We talked away the whole trip. One of the nicest people I have ever met. He left us far too soon. I too still have one of his seats. Miss you Ray, I know you rest high on that mountain.....
b0b

Post by b0b »

Received via email from Ray's son, Tyler:
I'm Ray walker's son visiting Nashville. Figured I'd send this to some people that were a great part of his life. His seat is still at the Grand Ole Opry in prestine condition.

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Davis

Ray Walker

Post by John Davis »

I remember conversations with Ray and Sam in the steel room on internet good friends but where have all those years gone? maybe lose touch but don't forget and I still have my Walker seat with sidecar that Scotty bought over for me. another great loss for all of us.
Finis Spier

ray walker

Post by Finis Spier »

i have the only s10 ray walker custom he ever built it is the most beautiful laquer finish !!!
Vann Ray Cranford

Remembering Ray Walker

Post by Vann Ray Cranford »

My Friendship With Ray Started In The Early 2000's In Wilson, N.C. We Met At The Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Jam. It Was Held At The Bill Ellis Convention Center. I Saw A Seat Called A "Walker Professional Player's Chair". Ray And I Started Talking And Became Instant Friends. I Went To Ray's Home On Old Black Creek Road Outside Of Smithfield, N.C. He Had His Shop In His Backyard. I Told Ray, That I Wanted To Have Built A One Of A Kind WALKER Seat To Honor My Deceased Infant Son. Ray Built For Me A DOUBLE Sidecar In Green With Gold Colored Lining. He Even Lined The Underside With The Green Vinyl. Ray Took My Accessories(V.P., Cables, etc.) And Custom Fitted The Compartments. We Even Put Peavey Ball Caster Wheels On It. Then, He Made A Matching Green Vinyl Slip On Cover To Protect My Seat. My Son's Nickname Was "RAYBEAR"(Raymond Arland Cranford). Ray Took Me To His Jewelry Store And Had A Brass Label Made With My Son's Nickname, Birthdate, And Death Date Placed On It. His Wife Debbie Was An E.R. Nurse. She Found A Blue Porcelain Teddy Bear. Ray Placed These On The Front Of My Seat. Ray Told Me That He Would Never Make Another DOUBLE Sidecar; Unless I Wanted Another One. That Was His Tribute To My Son. Unfortunately, We Never Got Around To Making A Second One. I Sit On My Seat Every Sunday With Tanglewood Church Of GOD Praise Band. Now, I Have Never Had Any Friends Any Closer To Me As Ray And Debbie Walker! I Really Miss All Of The Good Times Working In His Shop And Sitting In Ray's Music Room And Exchanging Steel Licks.
Steve Hotra

Rip

Post by Steve Hotra »

Wow.. I just saw this about Ray's graduation to heaven.
I only knew him, because I bought a Walker seat from him about ten years ago.
I need some replacement parts for my pedal steel guitar. Just called his number and saw it was disconnected, which led me to this thread.

Ray was a kind man. I could see that he has impacted many with his skills.
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Allen Howington

Ray

Post by Allen Howington »

Ray was a friend of mine for many years. I have been to his house and shop many times to share steel guitar lic's & riffs. Not only was he a good steel player he was a great singer. I told him once if I could sing like him I wouldn't ever touch another guitar. He is certainly missed by a lot of people and his memory is something we all cheerish.