Alvino Rey Sho-Bud

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Muller

Alvino Rey Sho-Bud

Post by Bob Muller »

Image I just saw this guitar in a museum in California, very interesting I have not seen anything like it. It has the pro 5 undercarriage but with barrel tuners and 2 hole pullers.

Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

Bob,

Thanks for posting these pictures. Interesting guitar, I wonder if there are any recordings of Alvino playing it.

JD
Garry Vanderlinde

Re: Alvino Rey Sho-Bud

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

That's a great photo! What a magnificent guitar :!:
Was the Rick'y looking PREMIERVOX 6 string guitar with the horse shoe pick up and amp case one of Alvinos' also?
Eric Dahlhoff

Sho-Bud

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Wow :eek: :eek: :eek:
10 pedals & 4 knees on a 10 string!
It looks mighty busy underneath.
What museum is it in?
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Cool! The photo of Alvino on this UK steers site looks like he might have been sitting at this instrument. https://www.pedalsteel.co.uk/famous-steelers
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Bob, the guitar in the picture has the rope style inlay.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

The more I look at the undercarriage, I get more confused. The rod swivels don't appear to be brass, and are the type used beginning with the Pro III. They have the set screw to "lock" the rod. (meaning nylon tuners) But - the barrels mean "Professional" era as you can clearly see multiple changes on more than one string! I count four rods with three barrels and one rod with four! Then, you have Super Pro style knee levers. I've never seen the knee lever stop mounted on it's side before, or the extra wood material on the back underside. What's with all the extra hardware?

I'm curious when this was built, and if it is actually still the way it was when built. Sunburst finish screams "re-finish" for a Sho~Bud.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

This guitar is on display in Carlsbad Ca. at a place called Museum of Making Music. I don't know anything about the guitar, other than, I saw it on display. You can read the description on the sign which is standing by the guitar. It is talking about guitars from the 1950's, which it is clearly not, but that's what the sign by the guitar reads. I have never seen anything like it, as it appears to be a Pro V style undercarriage but has barrel tuners and two-hole pullers. It is clearly a special made guitar for a very special player.