Rittenberry problem B pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Farrell

Rittenberry problem B pedal

Post by John Farrell »

Have a Rittenberry Prestige that I picked up from Johnie King a while back. Absolutely beautiful guitar, sounds and plays great and came set up just right. Been my secondary guitar and hasn't seen a lot of play, so I'm just now changing strings.

Problem is that I can't seed to tune the B pedal. I tune it open at the tuning pegs and pedal down at the changer. Pedal down is flat with open tuned. Adjust and open is sharp by same amount.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Overtuned, most likely. Read the sticky on "overtuning" at the top of the page, then follow the instructions given there.
John Farrell

Post by John Farrell »

Hey Donny,

Thanks for this. I read and pretty much understand the issue and the solution, however, I don't think it's a great first time under the hood project for me. So my next question is do you or anyone else on the forum know someone who can do this work around Charlotte, NC?

Thanks!
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Contact Tony Prior in Mathews,NC.
John Farrell

Post by John Farrell »

Thanks John!
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Is it possible when you changed strings that you installed a wound 6th string instead of a plain?

Putting on a plain string is an easy fix.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

John, got your note and will contact you later today (Saturday) Probably a simple fix, more like an oversight.

tp
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
John Farrell

Post by John Farrell »

Thanks Tony, I'll look to hear from you/

Tucker, no it's a plain/
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Tucker Jackson wrote:Is it possible when you changed strings that you installed a wound 6th string instead of a plain?

Putting on a plain string is an easy fix.
What Tucker said... even just changing to a different gauge CAN do that, but going to wound would definitely cause that.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Had same problem. Changed to Ernie ball set with wound 6 and could not get it tuned for the life of me. Back to the plain 6 and all fixed
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Spoke with John yesterday, went over a few things for him to check . This should be rather simple as the guitar was working fine just a short time ago.

Yes John confirmed that he has an .011 on the 3rd string. This guitar also has the 6 string Raise ( B Pedal) and a dual 6 string lower. I suspect something very simple, an oversight, perhaps an over tuning on the 6th string. One thing unknown is the previous gauge of the 6th string which can easily cause a slight B Pedal issue with a different gauge string.

I advised John to back off the 3rd and 6th string pulls and both of the 6 string lowers. I asked him to check that the #3 and #6 fingers move freely and return , and also to check the bell cranks to be sure one is not loose on the shaft and the rods are not hanging up.

Then tune the 3rd string, check it, then the 6 raise, check it, then the lowers. One at a time.

He'll figure it out as it all worked fine just a short while ago.

Its a procedure and process of elimination.

Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

Please contact me if you can’t figure it out. I’ll help in any way I can
Tim Pillow

Re: Rittenberry problem B pedal

Post by Tim Pillow »

John Farrell wrote:Have a Rittenberry Prestige that I picked up from Johnie King a while back. Absolutely beautiful guitar, sounds and plays great and came set up just right. Been my secondary guitar and hasn't seen a lot of play, so I'm just now changing strings.

Problem is that I can't seed to tune the B pedal. I tune it open at the tuning pegs and pedal down at the changer. Pedal down is flat with open tuned. Adjust and open is sharp by same amount.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Tim Pillow on 13 Jun 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Tim

2 things to try.

1. Make sure that there is some free play in the cross shafts going for each pedal and lever.. They may be binding a little bit. There should be some free play from front to back for the shafts. Ritts do not use any bushings to mount them and if the body swells a little bit they will bind. Have seen that on several Ritts.

2. Make sure that the rollers at the nut are not binding as well. Loosen the strings and make sure they turn freely. If not a drop of oil can help a bunch. Good luck.

Regards

Mark T
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Tim Pillow

Post by Tim Pillow »

Edited
Last edited by Tim Pillow on 11 Jun 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Still check the cross shafts if you haven’t already. If that doesn’t work you need to have Puckett make this right. It is a a little disconcerting to have a new guitar with this type of issue. It is easy to give those cross shafts a little more free play.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

Call Derek from Rittenberry, there’s no one that knows that guitar any better than the builder. Those things are usually an easy fix, and there’s no body better to talk you through it than Derek.
Dale Foreman

Splits

Post by Dale Foreman »

If the guitar has splits, back off all the pedals and knee’s associated with the splits Tune the open strings then tune the splits then tune the pedals and knees.
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

just a refresh..

I spoke with John a few weeks back , phone and text , offering several suggestions. As of a week or two back he had been traveling and has not yet attempted the fix. I also offered for him to bring the Steel to me and we could go over it together. He may do this.

hang tight , it sounds like he is a busy guy ! :D

Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

I believe Tims guitar got damaged during shipping I have made arrangements for Tim to return his guitar on my dime for diagnosis. I am also looking for Tim a loaner until he get the guitar back from me. This guitar played perfectly when it left the shop Joe Rogers and Cowboy Eddie both played it before it left.
Tim Pillow

Post by Tim Pillow »

This guitar is absolutely eye candy, no two ways about it.

The guitar is on its way “back to the old home”.
Tim Pillow

Post by Tim Pillow »

The guitar as of today is on the way “back to the old home”. 👍..