What size hex rod does Sho-Bud use for cross shafts?

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Daryl R Smith

What size hex rod does Sho-Bud use for cross shafts?

Post by Daryl R Smith »

After building a 6 string Redneck I'm embarking on building a 10 string modeled after the Sho-Bud Pro series. Can anyone tell me the size of the hex cross shafts? Thank you.
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

....5/16"....

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Daryl R Smith

Post by Daryl R Smith »

Thank you. I don't have access to any real manufactured PSGs so I'm designing around pictures I find and any dimensional information I can glean from the web and this site.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at hex shafts? Is it because you have a three jaw chuck and no four jaw chuck on your lathe? If you have no lathe, and don't want to try round rods, you may want to try the old EMCI/MCI style cross shafts with square tubing and adjustable/locking dowel pins at the ends. Simple off the shelf parts.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Daryl R Smith

Post by Daryl R Smith »

Sorry. Been out of town for a few weeks. I just wanted to mimic the hex shafts that Sho-Bud uses. I already have a 5/16" hex broach so I thought why not. I was actually in Nashville last week but could not find any music store that had a pedal steel (new or used) in stock. I was really hoping to have a look at a "real" PSG to see (and feel) how the action works. Kind of disappointed that I could not find a single PSG in Nashville, TN of all places.