Secret Love - Hacking Lloyd Green #2

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Rogers

Secret Love - Hacking Lloyd Green #2

Post by Joe Rogers »

The Urban Dictionary has many definitions on the word "Hack". The verb most popular today is defined as, "To learn and understand a complex problem through a combination of experience, insight, and persistence." In short, it is paying homage to the players who originated the sound and style by dissecting each component to attempt imitation.

Lloyd Green has the most inventive and soulful approach to pedal steel guitar. His sound is timeless. This particular song is off the "Ten Shades of Green" album, it is a masterpiece. It spoke to me the moment I first heard it years ago.

Lloyd overdubbed harmony parts on the original recording. I have chosen to simply play the octaves and pick the "missing notes" after the fact....while the first notes are still ringing. It is not as clean of an execution, but that is the only way to play it live with one steel player.

https://youtu.be/jRMQrsNNA6s

Enjoy......

Joe Rogers
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Great rendition of this classic Joe….👍Thanks, Carl
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

That Sho~bud Sounds beyond Anything> Larger than life itself.....Great song Joe.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Great playing!
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Joe, this is awesome as are all your other offerings. Great stuff.
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Joe, your work is masterful and greatly appreciated!
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Absolutely nailed it - thanks, Joe!
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Thanks so much for the comments...!!

Ricky, the guitar has your stamp on it....GREAT work..!!

Frank, that one's for you... :wink:

About to upload something off of the Cajun Connection CD......

Joe Rogers
Rick Kornacker

Just a "hey" from an old friend

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hey Joe! Listened to your Lloyd "hack" YouTube yesterday. I think you might remember me from our earlier days in Nashville. We ran across each other when we did "Nashville Now"...you were with McBride and the Ride and I was with Martin Delray. Anyway, your rendition of Lloyds tune "struck a nerve" bigtime and affected me in a way that most grown men might not want to admit to. So I chose to wait to effectively gather my thoughts. Really pulling off a Lloyd "hack" in the manner that you did took a lot of doing to get it right! Lloyd, to me, was the first righteous, "real deal" player that I discovered early on after being inspired by others such as J.Garcia, Toy Caldwell, etc (no disrepect to them but not even close by comparison. After that, a continuing number of Nashville players that ruled the roost. So, I'm just wanting to express how much I respect (and enjoyed) your endeavor here(touch, taste, tone, accuracy, emotion and the "right" guitar to boot. I believe that we both have progressed admirably in the last thirty years or so. Let's keep it up and going! I called my wife Jan(Fran Newman's daughter) in to listen to your video and she was "moved" as well. Thanks again for making our day. Respectfully submitted, RK
"think MORE...play LESS"
Joe Krumel

Secret love hack

Post by Joe Krumel »

Nice one Joe. I'm with Ricky,that Sho Bud is a smooth one for sure. Great job.I love great players making great music.thanks,and keep em' comin'.
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Rick & Joe, thanks so much for the compliments.

Rick, I remember you well....I think we first met a good bit before your Martin Del Ray gig. I am really touched by your comments. Speaking of 30 yr progression in steel technique, in conversations with close friends we have all remarked how somewhere around the 30 yr mark, the finesse really kicks in. The true steel prodigies get there much sooner, but that true magic touch takes sooo much time to grasp.

Lloyd is not an easy one to emulate. His vibrato is very elusive. As for the guitar, I played and owned quite a few Sho-Buds before I found "that one that spoke" to me. My ears were correct, because as it turned out this guitar was built 3 months after Lloyd's (and Ricky Davis') LDGs. Even though it started life as a Pro-II, the Duane Marrs SD-10 conversion was spot on.

The only other contributing factors to the emulation are that my grandmother was a Green, and like Lloyd, I am left-handed. :lol: :lol:

Thanks again..!!

Joe Rogers
billy tam

hack

Post by billy tam »

Joe, Really great job on that beautiful old song, always on of my favorites.
Your comment on the 30 year time period reminded my of my late good friend Tommy Loften who
told me early on that he learned HOW to play pretty good in a few short years but it really took him
25-30 years to learn WHEN to play. Keep the hacks coming Joe.
Billy
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Great playing Joe.
Its good to hear and watch you play again, love ya pal.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I feel sure that Lloyd has watched this and is proud of you.

I know that I think you are right up at the top.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

You guys are much too kind. My posting time is zilch right now, am on the road with Tracy Byrd and playing about 3 dates per week at the moment. Won't get free time until May or June...

Good to hear from you all...!!

Joe Rogers
Dale Foreman

Lloyd Hack

Post by Dale Foreman »

Great as always, I have an idea about the Dallas show next year, Gice me a call and we’ll discuss it! 😎
Rittenberry Prestige(2)