Issues with narrower string spacing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kathy Freeman

Issues with narrower string spacing

Post by Kathy Freeman »

I've played an 8 string ABM lapsteel with 3/8" string spacing (nut 3.25") for two years now. I use a bullet bar.

I recently bought a Framus 8 string with narrower spacing (5/16") and practiced it at least an hour a day for three weeks. But I still didn't feel OK to play it at rehearsal let alone a show. I can pickblock and do passable harmonics on the ABM but I'm glitching a lot on the Framus.

Before I sell the Framus and also give up on acquiring a Clinesmith Joaquin 8 (nut 2.125 max) I'd like to know if anyone here resolved a similar problem? Tips and feedback welcome, thanks.

PS I'm cautious about overworking my fingers so would avoid extra strenuous techniques

D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

If you love the sound of the Framus, you might find a luthier that could make you a wider-spaced nut and bridge saddle?
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Interesting Kathy. I really only play 6 string guitars but I do have an 8 string Dynalap which is a lovely guitar for a budget steel. The Dynalap has a 3/8"(10mm) string spacing parallel from the nut to the bridge. However when I do play this instrument it feels too wide at the nut. The string spacing on my 6 string laps are all between 9 and 10mm and all feel very comfortable to play. I dont really understand why I feel the Dynalap is too wide but I think one of the reasons is that I do not play it enough therefore it feels strange every time I play it. I have a feeling that if you play the Framus solely for a continuous period of time you will get used to it. 5/16"(8mm) does not sound too narrow to me but I have not played the instrument. Interesting to know what other 8 string players think!
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

D Schubert wrote:If you love the sound of the Framus, you might find a luthier that could make you a wider-spaced nut and bridge saddle?
If the neck and fretboard widths allow it that's a good option The Framus does have a sweet sound
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Sebastian Müller wrote:Hi Kathy, the string spacing is pretty important and it's one of the reasons why I stick to 6 string steel guitars. But the string spacing of my Clinesmith Aluminum Cast (8strings) is rather wide, it is 6 cm at the nut and around 7,2 cm at the bridge. I just bought a Emmons pedal steel, so I get more and more used to narrower string spacing, but I don't play many slants on the pedal steel.
Interesting to hear about the Aluminium Clinesmith, will have check that out. Do you have any videos where you are playing it? I actually considered "relearning" six strings to be more versatile - but I still have a way to go with the eight :-)
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Mike A Holland wrote:Interesting Kathy. I really only play 6 string guitars but I do have an 8 string Dynalap which is a lovely guitar for a budget steel. The Dynalap has a 3/8"(10mm) string spacing parallel from the nut to the bridge. However when I do play this instrument it feels too wide at the nut. The string spacing on my 6 string laps are all between 9 and 10mm and all feel very comfortable to play. I dont really understand why I feel the Dynalap is too wide but I think one of the reasons is that I do not play it enough therefore it feels strange every time I play it. I have a feeling that if you play the Framus solely for a continuous period of time you will get used to it. 5/16"(8mm) does not sound too narrow to me but I have not played the instrument. Interesting to know what other 8 string players think!
I guess it's all down to habit and familiarity. The ABM was the first "serious" steel I came across so I never knew anything different and assumed that was the norm...I was in for a shock! While you've had something like the opposite experience.

I'm currently having a second stab at getting used to the Framus, though it makes my hands feel like dinner-plates. May I ask how you came by the Dynalap? I heard that some people make them from a kit.
Steffen Gunter

Post by Steffen Gunter »

I have the same 8-string Clinesmith as Sebastian and the wider spacing improved my playing a lot. I started with an old GDR Herrnsdorff Guitar, followed by a Fender Custom and a Fender Stringmaster D-8, all quite narrow (the Custom's spacing ist a bit wider and better to play). But slant intonation and hitting the wanted string only is way better on my Clinesmith. That's one reason why I don't play any other of my guitars anymore (the other reasons are sound, looks,reliability).
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Other than having to make right hand picking adjustments. My gripe about narrow string spacing is forward and reverse slants are a lot more difficult.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
David DeLoach

Post by David DeLoach »

I went from old Panda 6 string wide spacing, to Fender Stringmaster 8 string narrower spacing, to Clinesmith Joaquin with the wider spacing option.

It felt pretty comfortable going to the Clinesmith.
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Kathy Freeman wrote:
I'm currently having a second stab at getting used to the Framus, though it makes my hands feel like dinner-plates. May I ask how you came by the Dynalap? I heard that some people make them from a kit.
Image [/img]
I think they are a kit. Apparently this one was made by the kit designer from USA. Or that is what I was told when I bought it. It is a very nice guitar and that pickup is great. I have hadit a few years now. I bought it from a guy who plays pedal steel guitar in the midlands. It needs to be played really!
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Hmmm... Call me crazy but I found reasonably narrow spacing more reliable for slanting, split slanting, split reverse/forward slanting, wide grip chord voicings.

Wide string spacing was a no go for me. When I first moved to more narrow string spacing it just took practice like anything else. Plus there was less effort and bar movement. :whoa:
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Steffen Gunter wrote:I have the same 8-string Clinesmith as Sebastian and the wider spacing improved my playing a lot. I started with an old GDR Herrnsdorff Guitar, followed by a Fender Custom and a Fender Stringmaster D-8, all quite narrow (the Custom's spacing ist a bit wider and better to play). But slant intonation and hitting the wanted string only is way better on my Clinesmith. That's one reason why I don't play any other of my guitars anymore (the other reasons are sound, looks,reliability).
Good to know, thanks. I looked up the Herrnsdorff out of curiosity because I live in Germany - was surprised to see that it looks pretty cool. But I guess a Clinesmith is the best option - vintage guitars have too many quirks
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Stefan Robertson wrote:Hmmm... Call me crazy but I found reasonably narrow spacing more reliable for slanting, split slanting, split reverse/forward slanting, wide grip chord voicings.

Wide string spacing was a no go for me. When I first moved to more narrow string spacing it just took practice like anything else. Plus there was less effort and bar movement. :whoa:
yeah maybe I'm trying too hard when I play it. Thanks Stefan.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I played Flamenco guitar from age 14, so growing up with fingerstyle acoustic guitars, I never understood the narrow spacing on steel guitars. Some videos show guys with big meaty hands "knitting" tiny patterns. I gave my 8 string guitar 8mm at the nut and 10mm at the bridge. I like the extra room to move, and slightly more comfortable slant grips.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.