Who played steel for Jimmy Dickens on Opry?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Hoetker

Who played steel for Jimmy Dickens on Opry?

Post by Gary Hoetker »

In the later years. He is really good.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Pee Wee Rogers is the one I remember in say, the 90s?

Played an Emmons. Did a lot twin stuff with the guitar player on Jim's stuff.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Pee Wee was a very tasteful player. I met him a few times. He was a nice guy and really understood country music from the position of being an expert sideman and team player. His playing complemented Jimmy's singing perfectly. The guitar player was David Nye. I was a flight instructor and David was a parachute instructor. Unfortunately, both of them have passed away.

RC
Tracy Sheehan

Steel [player for Jimmy Dickens

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Was Jimmy Yates.
Tracy Sheehan

Re: Steel [player for Jimmy Dickens

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

uote="Tracy Sheehan"]Was Jimmy Yates.[/quote] I was p laying in Sioux fall,S.D.and that was where Yates wife was from.When Jimmy would come visit her and come out to where i was playing,bring his steel and we would jam. The band leader hated our playing as we were not playing County'lol Later when he quit J.D.and formed his own band he got my son to play drums for him and his wife Kathy. Sure hated it when she told me J.Yatess had passed away. She would stay with J.D. when he was on the road.She sent me the Nashvile paper telling of Jimmy Yates death.Still miss him.
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Yep, Pee Wee Rogers . Thanks.
Tracy Sheehan

Re: Steel [player for Jimmy Dickens

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Tracy Sheehan wrote:uote="Tracy Sheehan"]Was Jimmy Yates.
I was p laying in Sioux fall,S.D.and that was where Yates wife was from.When Jimmy would come visit her and come out to where i was playing,bring his steel and we would jam. The band leader hated our playing as we were not playing County'lol Later when he quit J.D.and formed his own band he got my son to play drums for him and his wife Kathy. Sure hated it when she told me J.Yatess had passed away. She would stay with J.D. when he was on the road.She sent me the Nashvile paper telling of Jimmy Yates death.Still miss him.[/quote] Opps. I had not thought about who replaced Jimmy Yates after he passed away, Been many moons ago. Sorry if I miss lead any one. And Jimmy Yates played an Emmons.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

I replaced Jimmy Yates to play with Dickens around 1981. I stayed with Tater for 12 months. Yates went to work for Jean Sheppard then. Pee Wee replaced me when I quit. He stayed there for over 20 years before he passed.

Ron
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Good to read all this history. Some of my friends sang and played a lot LJD's great songs.

Our old friend Boogie loved to do that twin thing with me or whoever was on steel on things like Sleepin' at the Foot of the Bed. I got a lot of practice as we played it a lot but I could barely keep up sometimes.