Tubes from Electro-Harmonix. Good news

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Fox

Tubes from Electro-Harmonix. Good news

Post by Ken Fox »

Email today from Mike Matthews

Attention All EHX Tube Customers

The export restriction on Russian tubes has been resolved for now. We are accepting new orders, processing backorders, and hoping to resume shipping in April. Priority will be given to the oldest orders.

Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices. This price increase, to be announced separately, will apply to all back- and new orders. Also, there will likely be a further price increase once the U.S. implements heightened tariffs against Russian goods.

You can cancel any backorder, but we do not recommend this; there is a tremendous shortage of tubes.
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

And just WHY would anyone want to buy anything exported from Russia considering the current situation?

IMHO, this post is abhorrent.

Shame
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Don Downes wrote:And just WHY would anyone want to buy anything exported from Russia considering the current situation?

IMHO, this post is abhorrent.

Shame
understood, but if you really need tubes, and can't find them anywhere, what do you do? wait until they are made here in the US again??? Much of Europe gets ALL its natural gas and much of its petroleum from russia. They haven't stopped buying .When the US was in Viet Nam, Iraq etc, did nations stop buying our stuff?. When a group of Saudi maniacs killed 3,000 of our fellow Americans, did we stop buying oil from them?

Its not as simple as you think...
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

I apologize. My post was more driven mostly by heart than of head. I just had a long discussion with a friend about how the world's economy is so intertwined. And how it is nearly impossible to unravel. Needs are needs and will be fulfilled not matter what, and at any cost.

Again, I do apologize. I am usually a rational person. Sometimes I get way ahead of myself. And I do thank you, Bob, for calling me out. I realize it is not as simple as it seems.
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Ken Fox

Tubes

Post by Ken Fox »

The post is merely informative.
I do not use Sovtek tubes in my shop. I use JJ tubes from the Slovak Republic
I do not use Ruby tubes that are made in China either. That is just my personal preference
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Exactly as Ken said. JJ is my preferred tube as well.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Don Downes wrote:I apologize. My post was more driven mostly by heart than of head. I just had a long discussion with a friend about how the world's economy is so intertwined. And how it is nearly impossible to unravel. Needs are needs and will be fulfilled not matter what, and at any cost.

Again, I do apologize. I am usually a rational person. Sometimes I get way ahead of myself. And I do thank you, Bob, for calling me out. I realize it is not as simple as it seems.
Don,, no need for any apology at all ,,to anyone.. One thing we all must remember.
Its not the PEOPLE of Russia.. It a few old communists at the top that want to resurrect the Soviet Union that are doing this. The people want to live their lives in peace for the most part just like us.

Agree as well on the JJ tubes.. I prefer them over Sovtek and any MIC tubes.. To be honest, all of them JJ included, are pathetic compared to tubes that were made here in the US 60+ years ago.. Some of them are still going strong, while a ""modern"" tube might last 3 years... If you go easy on it, and its a good one... as I said,,, pathetic.... bob

David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Several years ago in the theremin community, I met a Russian lady who was a little younger than I was. We both went to school in the early sixties. Comparing notes, I mentioned that we had nuke drills every month--had to hide from the Russians under our desks.

She said they had to do the same thing. Hide from the Americans under their desks...

Like Bob said, it's not the Russian citizens.

I'm still running on a lot of military surplus American made tubes that I bought in the early 90's. The government was auctioning off their last big stash. Things like 6V6, 5691, 12**7, 5y3. Plus lots of more obscure tubes. At the same time, the British were selling off a lot of surplus tubes. I got some killer GZ37 rectifiers out of this stash.

Later on, the Russian government was auctioning off surplus military tubes. I got a bunch of 6N1P triodes (roughly equivalent to half a 12AX7). These are very high quality tubes, also made to military specs.

At any rate, the currently available new tubes aren't nearly up to the same standards as the good old days, but I'm glad they're available at all. I use JJ too. As well as some higher end Shuguang direct heated triodes (2A3 in my case). They're actually quite good--I acutally prefer them to the old RCA's I had been using, but they're also pricey.

Dave
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Well said Ken & Bob.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Hi Ken:

Even though the news is out that the New Sensor tubes will continue to be sold, the vendor's that carry tubes have increased prices by about 50% in the past month, at least as far as I can tell.

Are things going to settle back down to regular prices?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Tom Gorr wrote:Hi Ken:

Even though the news is out that the New Sensor tubes will continue to be sold, the vendor's that carry tubes have increased prices by about 50% in the past month, at least as far as I can tell.

Are things going to settle back down to regular prices?

I doubt it... Inflation is out of control at this point, as well as ""supply chain and raw material issues"" :roll:

Everything is going through the roof right now, doesn't matter what it is, and its accelerating...

Cappone dAngelo

Post by Cappone dAngelo »

My understanding is that currently there are only 2 factories in the world producing appreciable amounts of tubes for guitar amps, and that this has been the case since 2019 when the Chinese factory closed for what was supposed to be a limited time, but it has still not started up (though there are indications that there are still plans to restart at a new location, and that alternate sources in China may be ramping up). There are a few very small producers, but I understand their volumes are not appreciable at this time

One of the major producers is JJ in Slovakia which has had a backlog - I'm advised at least 6 months - since at least last year. The other is New Sensor (EHX/Mike Matthews) in Russia, who some sources say produce 70% of the world's tubes for guitar amps, under 7 different brands. So if we don't buy the Russian-made tubes, once the existing stock at distributors/retailers runs out - and many have already - we're likely not getting any for the foreseeable future, as JJ's output is likely spoken for until something gives.

Personally I probably have enough tubes to last for the rest of my life, but for those who build or repair tube amps the shortages and price increases are creating quite a problem. So while I definitely appreciate the sentiment of using purchasing power to effect positive change, after much thought I surmise that 'not buying Russian-made tubes or products containing them' will adversely affect the workers, the US manufacturer/distributor (EHX), and possibly amp makers/repairers throughout the world, but probably won't impact those responsible for the current humanitarian crisis.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Yeah me to, got enough tubes to last me for a good long time. Even some unopened Sovtek 5881 WXT, and Mullard 6L6's, and Tung-Sol 6L6 STR's. Along with several 12AX7 and other preamp tubes of various types & values. So pretty much all set here to.

Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Western Electric, U.S. makers of 300B tubes, have expressed interest in manufacturing tubes for guitar amplifiers:
https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/r ... WDaCdnp4WM
John Ducsai

Post by John Ducsai »

The news of Western Electric possibly expanding to make more tubes is huge !
Everyone should fill out the survey.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Oh yeah! Everyone should fill that out. I just did
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

In the 90's when the single ended direct heated triode amplifier movement was in full gear, old 300Bs were fetching an unbelievable amount of money per tube. $1000 or more. Western Electric (ATT at the time) still had a mothballed tube manufacturing facility and reacted to the limited, but still real demand. They started producing the 300B again--they sold for $850 or so a tube at the time. Quality was very good.

The demand for guitar tubes is far higher than for tubes like a 300B, so hopefully they'll step up to the plate again, but don't expect to see them at Sovtek/JJ prices if they start making them!

Dave
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I had to get away from tubes after having issues so many times on gigs, especially with new top-rated and expensive Svetlana tubes. My amp techs were always highly regarded but still I never felt completely confident in the tubes. Wasn't as much of an issue with older RCA tubes and high quality European minis. But what has been sold at a consumer level for the past 30 years gave me no choice but to go with solid state, and I am just as, if not more happy, than I was with tubes.

That said, I would love to see this happen. There is a tremendous market out there for it.
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

Survey replied to.
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

I took the survey and passed the link on to others not on the forum. This sounds like a great idea!