Pedal Steel instructors in Los Angeles

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Sullivan

Pedal Steel instructors in Los Angeles

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I've been learning the Pedal Steel for the last year and a half with the help of some great instructional books and a few videos online.

The Pedal Steel is the first instrument I've ever played and I could definitely use some guidance from someone who really knows what they're doing.

Are there any Pedal Steel instructors in the Los Angeles area? Please reach out to me. I'd love to take some lessons.

Thank you!
Jim Sullivan
Sho-Bud The Pro-III Custom
www.placesthatwere.com
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Call Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County. Great guy and knows everybody in the Southern California area. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Dittos
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

I'm in the LAX area, been playing about 4 years, I don't know of a local teacher but I would love to get together and jam.

Maybe we can scrape all the players in the area together (there are a few) and have a jam someday as well.
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
Anthony Campbell

Post by Anthony Campbell »

While there is nothing wrong with wanting face to face instruction, it should be noted there are now more than ever, instructors online who can teach via skype/zoom. Some of them are on here! It's a heck of a lot more efficient if you can have your guitar set-up at home and just log-on rather than lugging your gear around town.
Williams Keyless D10
Goodrich Volume
Quilter 101R and Quilter IB45
Jim Sullivan

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Anthony Campbell wrote:While there is nothing wrong with wanting face to face instruction, it should be noted there are now more than ever, instructors online who can teach via skype/zoom. Some of them are on here! It's a heck of a lot more efficient if you can have your guitar set-up at home and just log-on rather than lugging your gear around town.
I understand what you're saying and I definitely don't love the idea of breaking my back lugging my gear around town. But I'd like to have an experienced player scrutinize my posture, hand technique, etc. and give me some pointers. I'm not sure how well that can be done over video.
Jim Sullivan
www.placesthatwere.com
Jim Sullivan

Post by Jim Sullivan »

George Biner wrote:I'm in the LAX area, been playing about 4 years, I don't know of a local teacher but I would love to get together and jam.

Maybe we can scrape all the players in the area together (there are a few) and have a jam someday as well.
Heck yes! Feel free to p.m. me and let's meet up.
Jim Sullivan
www.placesthatwere.com
Tommy Henry

Post by Tommy Henry »

Old thread, but I was wondering if you ever found a pedal steel instructor in LA. I haven't bought one yet, but I'd love to get a lesson or two in prior to purchasing (plus, I should probably sell a couple of my 6-string guitars first).

The only thing that Google returns is a guy named Zack (no last name given) at Red Pelican Music in NoHo. Zack may be excellent, but he appears to be primarily a bass player, and I can't find any reviews from a pedal steel student of his.
Kully Stiles

Post by Kully Stiles »

Hey, I'm in L.A., and can teach the C6 neck. I can help with the basics of E9 as well, but less qualified for that. Not sure if Boo Bernstein teaches, but he's a master of E9 playing and lives in L.A. Whether you learn to play well ultimately comes down to putting in a ton of practice hours, but there are certainly things I wish someone had told me when I first started playing steel, that you could learn in a lesson or 2.

Here's a couple videos of me playing C6

https://youtu.be/2oof6Vj5Xk8

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNVAQLJqyw ... =copy_link
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Kale that is such a cool video.