Extended E9 Copedants

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Larson

Extended E9 Copedants

Post by John Larson »

Eventually I want to transition to a 12 string E9 PSG. Please post Copedants if you have them.

I'm thinking Emmons + Franklin + changes for the lower strings.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Joe Hensley

Post by Joe Hensley »

No changes here on my low E & A flat at the moment. (E9 in circles)

Tom Bradshaw

My recommendations

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

LKL: 2nd string lower 1/2 tone, then full tone; Raise 7th string 1/2 tone
Vertical: Lower 5th string 1/2 tone (no other change)
LKR: Raise 1st string a full tone; raise 2nd string a 1/2 tone
Pedal B: Add 1/2 tone change to 11th string.
Move 8th pedal changes to 4th pedal position. Eliminate 4th pedal changes.
Add 0 pedal to the left of pedal A and install the Franklin pedal changes.

There are reasons for this, but no need to provide them at this point. Someone might want to beat me up! Ha. ...Tom
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Like Tom, I have Pedal B raise the low G# (string 11) to A. This gives a low tonic note in "pedals down" position.

Another good change is to have your E to F lever lower 12 to C#.
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Here's mine for what it's worth...

Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
b0b

Extended E9th

Post by b0b »

Here's what I used (or something very close to it) for about 30 years. You can hear it on "Quasar Steel Guitar".

The 4th pedal got changed around fairly often. It ended up lowering the B strings to A# instead of raising the G#s. Also, I added a drop of the low E to D on the 3rd pedal, which was very useful.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Hugo Knef

Post by Hugo Knef »

If you are wanting that low E on a 12 string extended E9. You could experiment on a 10 string by putting a low E on 10 and moving B to the 9 string. I have my guitar setup like this and I love it. I can get the D by RKR lever the B up to D. I also lower 7 to G# with RKL. Nice power chord on the wound strings. Everything else pretty standard Emmons.
Williams S10 moyo mini Quilter TT12
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Here’s my relatively recent Extended E9 setup with an explanatory video I did awhile back if you’re interested ….
https://youtu.be/iJUiMp_I-O0

Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Keeping watch on this thread.

Just one word of advice - I have the Franklin change on P5, to the right of C (P4). I hardly ever use it. I believe it would find much more use in the “0” position (P1) next to A & B, but I like what I already have there, which is a B>Bb change on str 5 &10. Studying Rick Schmidt and b0b copedents with interest.
Jameson Koweek

Post by Jameson Koweek »

I just recently changed my C pedal to lower my low E to D. With this I can have a drop D style power chord with B+C on strings 12,11&9, and if I play B+C and strum 12-3, I get a great big chord that is a 6th on the bottom and a major 7th on the top. I am sure someone here knows the proper nomenclature for such a chord. It’s really nice for song endings, because I can strum it, and then release the pedals and drop to frets and get a 9 chord of the same name. Other than that my setup is pretty standard Emmons.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Jameson Koweek wrote:I just recently changed my C pedal to lower my low E to D. With this I can have a drop D style power chord with B+C on strings 12,11&9, and if I play B+C and strum 12-3, I get a great big chord that is a 6th on the bottom and a major 7th on the top. I am sure someone here knows the proper nomenclature for such a chord. It’s really nice for song endings, because I can strum it, and then release the pedals and drop to frets and get a 9 chord of the same name. Other than that my setup is pretty standard Emmons.
That's how I set up my Universal tuning many years ago. I love it there!! It's such a natural place to have it.

(Although I do wonder if necessary to do this on an extended E9 tuning when you can just grab s9).
b0b

Post by b0b »

Tom, he's talking about the 12th string lower E to D on the C pedal. I also had that change for many years. It makes B+C great for rock power chords or country tick-tack barotine parts.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Oh yeah! - right on thanks for the clarification.

He means the "The really low E" not just "the low E". Tee hee.