Tenderly

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Sullivan

Tenderly

Post by Rich Sullivan »

First new recording in a year and a half. But more to follow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKzuxmE_zQ
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

What a crystal clear tone. Nice work and good taste in music.
David Dorwart

Post by David Dorwart »

Such elegance. That was really good. Curious, when you first approached that did you start with the chords and then incorporated the melody or did it just come out all at once?
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Rich, just a question.....why the seperation of two pedals.....Being fairly new here I have not seen this arangement before.....
Thanks for the song it was great.
Sam
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

David,
When I first learned this one I think I had a lead sheet with the chord names, so my work was to take that info and find chord locations on the guitar which would facilitate incorporating the melody in as fluid a way as possible. This is a fairly standard way to work up a chord melody I would think. And then I copied the ending from Noel Boggs' classic recording.
Rich
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Samuel,
The pedal bar on this Bigsby originally had 5 pedals which were equally spaced. The way I have it set up now, the 2 on the far left operate on the inside neck (E6). I left the third pedal position empty for now only because I did not have a perceived need or use for one (yet). I still think about adding that one back in if I figure out what I want to add. That could be on either neck, but most likely would be on the E6 neck. The 4th and 5th pedals operate on the outside neck (B11). And then I added another pedal over near the volume pedal by extending the shaft on the pedal bar. My original thought was to "double-foot" that one with my right foot, and that is why it is so far over, even though it works on the E6 neck. But I have found that I sometimes use either foot depending on the situation, and will occasionally bring my left foot all the way over. Here is a song I recorded two years ago that shows the use of that far right pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psei1ZCYLok

I hope that is a clear explanation to your question.
Rich
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Rich,
thanks for the response...I had to watch the video a couple of times to be sure I was seeing the pedal arrangement correctly. makes sense to me now.

Sam
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Sam,
Cool. I'm glad that helped.
Rich
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Very nice, Rich!
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Thanks, Mike. Very much appreciated.