Questions about some phaser pedals

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Poston

Questions about some phaser pedals

Post by John Poston »

I have 70s outlaw phaser on the brain. Used to love the Session 500 but that's long gone. Did not like the Phase 90 because of the breakup/distortion when laying into it, even after the volume pedal.

1. I have the Zoom MS50G multi-effects but haven't really dialed anything on their 2 phaser models I like. Would be interested to see people's preferred settings if anyone is using this.

2. Maybe I'm picky enough to a need dedicated pedal and looking at a few options. I'm specifically wondering about cleanness of sound with pedal steel pickups of small stone, MXR 45 and Boss PH1.
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

The Mutron Phaser and Phaser II both run off wall power and will take line level signals without breakup. They are not cheap but they will do the job.
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Donny Hinson

Re: Questions about some phaser pedals

Post by Donny Hinson »

John Poston wrote:I have 70s outlaw phaser on the brain. Used to love the Session 500 but that's long gone. Did not like the Phase 90 because of the breakup/distortion when laying into it, even after the volume pedal.
I think that distortion you're hearing is really more of a technique problem. If you'll just turn the amp up (which forces you to use less volume pedal), you'll find that that distortion goes away. Many complaints I hear from players about distortion and poor sustain could be reduced or eliminated by just turning up the amp, and controlling overall volume with the volume pedal.

Even when I'm playing softly at home, my amp volume controls are always turned all the way up! ;-)
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

The (newer)MXR's distort for me as well; it's not an amp issue.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I had the same problem with a newer MXR. The cheaper JOYO Vintage Phase didn’t distort. It has a metal housing and works well for the Sneaky Pete or Waylon phase sound.
Last edited by K Maul on 4 Feb 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

What K Maul said.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Here's a recent observation concerning the Behringer VP-1 Phaser. This is just like the old EH Small Stone I used to have from the 70s. It's the sound I want for everything from Waylon on. It can be found several shops online for about $35 cheap. As stated below, I've only used it with guitar and not yet with the steel.
Jerry Overstreet wrote:The Behringer came today. I haven't hooked up to the steel yet so my evaluation may have to be amended.

I have it connected to guitar though, and I'm happy.

Running a S/C Tele through the MosValve/GP100 rack rig and a 9v apapter, I hear no noise at all. As others have noted, it does attenuate the volume a bit, but I don't notice any tone degradation and it sounds and operates as I remember the old Small Stone Phaser from the 70s, 80s.

It's the old familiar phaser sound I like and I believe it will suit my purpose perfectly.

I use a buffer anyway or a Hilton pedal with steel, so I don't anticipate anything negative.

Thanks again for the tip Karl.
seeVP1here
Charley Paul

Post by Charley Paul »

The chewy distortion that you find on the mxr phasers is what makes them sought after. It’s part of their signature sound.

If you want something cleaner, and more transparent, I might suggest something digital, especially with a dry blend. The one that comes to mind is the Strymon Zelzah
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Another choice for digital is Source Audio Lunar/Gemini/Mercury. Any of these can be programmed for 3 algorithms including phaser, chorus, flanger, and vibe. I have a Gemini that I programmed for phase, chorus, vibe, all 3 effects are very clear sounding. There is a 3 position switch to move between the presets. If you are the programming type its a great deal 3 pedals for the price of 1.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

Just got an Earthquaker Grand Orbiter at South Austin Music. I'll see how it works and post here what my impressions are. It is a more expensive option.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

I've been eyeing the little mxr phase 95 due to it's tiny size and tonal options, but currently, the visual sound garage tone has beat everything else I've tried.
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

I had distortion with the MXR phaser as well. I think the BL705 pickup in my guitar is just too hot for it. I now use a TC Electronics Helix with no problems. It also has a lot more versatility than the old MXR.
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Here's a recent observation concerning the Behringer VP-1 Phaser. This is just like the old EH Small Stone I used to have from the 70s. It's the sound I want for everything from Waylon on. It can be found several shops online for about $35 cheap. As stated below, I've only used it with guitar and not yet with the steel.
Jerry Overstreet wrote:The Behringer came today. I haven't hooked up to the steel yet so my evaluation may have to be amended.

I have it connected to guitar though, and I'm happy.

Running a S/C Tele through the MosValve/GP100 rack rig and a 9v apapter, I hear no noise at all. As others have noted, it does attenuate the volume a bit, but I don't notice any tone degradation and it sounds and operates as I remember the old Small Stone Phaser from the 70s, 80s.

It's the old familiar phaser sound I like and I believe it will suit my purpose perfectly.

I use a buffer anyway or a Hilton pedal with steel, so I don't anticipate anything negative.

Thanks again for the tip Karl.
seeVP1here
I continue to vouch for the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser. A really musical, classic phaser tone with zero breakup. It's almost hard to find a bad tone.

If you don't want Behringer on your board and don't mind spending three times as much buy the Small Stone.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

Thanks for all of the feedback, everybody!!

I am trying out a Joyo vintage phaser for awhile. No breakup and has a pretty good sound for me. I think I may save up for one of the pedals with more advanced options.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I used a Roland Phase II for many years and was quite happy with it. There's a trim pot inside that I had to adjust to get the sound I wanted. Also, I replaced the push button switch with a toggle. Here's a photo I grabbed off the internet.

But that was long ago. About a decade ago I used the Behringer VP1 on a few gigs. It was good on stage but didn't record well. Now I mostly use the one in my Line6 Pod XT which is fine but very generic, or the TC Electronics Helix which is the best, most versatile phaser I've tried.

That said, I don't use the effect nearly so much as I did back in the day. I still like it, though.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video