Dale Watson “Live in London” with Ricky Davis… A+

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Gehringer

Dale Watson “Live in London” with Ricky Davis… A+

Post by Ray Gehringer »

Just want to take a minute to send my compliments to Ricky Davis regarding his work on Dale Watson’s “Live in London 2002” album… pure Country with a little tinge of Rockabilly and the slightest touch of Jazz here and there. I just got it this past Monday from Amazon and it put a smile on my face right from the get go starting with “A Real Country Song.”

Ricky your playing equally blends chops and good taste and I enjoyed the entire album and your work start to finish although my favorite tune at the moment is “Bright Lights and Blonde Haired Women” awesome work. Also… hopefully you see this because I have to ask what you had going on electronically on “In the Jailhouse Now?” Soundwise it stands out because your tone on this is so much different then your tone on the rest of the album… did you use a Dobro Simulator or maybe and EQ? Just curious.

KUDOS
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well Ray; thank you SOOOOO much for the kind supportive words. We had a blast recording for two days in London; I think that was 2002?? "Bright lights and Blond Haired Women" is my favorite too....Dale sang his A$$ off and Ray Price would be proud and actually Johnny Bush looked right at me once and said: "Ricky; that Live in London album you and Dale did is my Favorite and best "LIVE" Album I Every heard" ...wow I got chills when he told me that.
Here's the whole album>
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... CCSztVBsvU

Also; On "In the Jailhouse Now"...that is my hawaiian steel I built called the "SSHAWAIIAN" pic here>
Aww Haa...

When Lloyd Green heard "Nashville Rash" he said:

""Damn Ricky!
I don’t know that I had ever heard the live recording of you and Dale Watson with the song, “Help Me Merle”.
That is some absolutely cool E9th playing.
Dale and you should still be together. You were on fire, man.
Nobody could have done that better. Perhaps nobody could have played it as good as you did!
Really impressive my friend.
Love ya,
Lloyd"

Many folks are wondering how I played that and of course there's no video of the "Live in London" But for you; here's a clip in Holland of me playing that exact solo I came up with, just the solo, video>
https://youtu.be/WParxip-RJM

Enjoy.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

Thanks so much for the video clip… so cool. Nice looking Lap Steel, it sounds excellent and was real effective, changed things up in a good way. What tuning?

After Live in London came in the mail I put my dog, Elvis, in the car and we took a ride to Piermont, NY to a nice walking path on the Hudson River… listened to about half of It in the car on the way to and the other half on the way back from Piermont. I have to say that rare are the albums that I can listen to start to finish without skipping a single track but I honestly didn’t skip a single track so this was a refreshing listening experience.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Thanks Ray; I believe it to be that intriguing also.
Well Dale tunes down a whole tone on his guitar; so I tuned down to D13 on my SSHAWAIIAN and that song is in D so made for a fun time...ah..ha.
1. F#
2. D
3. B
4. A
5. F#
6. E
7. D
8. C
9. B
10 A
Yes it's a 10-string non-pedal steel...yeeehaaa.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Ricky,

I'm a huge fan of "Live In London", and that Holland video. In fact, today I was just turning one of my students on to both of them, because of your playing!

Can you give me an idea of what other Dale cd's you're on? I see a bunch of live releases on Spotify, but they don't have credits.

In fact, if anyone knows who plays steel on which Watson cd's, I'd sure appreciate it!
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well I can tell you the ones I was on and the ones Lloyd Green is on....
------------------------------------------------
Truckin Sessions> Ricky Davis
People I've knows places I've been> Ricky Davis
Live in London> Ricky Davis
Live Deluxe Plus> Ricky Davis
One More; Once More> Ricky Davis
Every Song I write is for you> Ricky Davis
Christmas Time in Texas> Ricky Davis
Blessed or Damned> Lloyd Maines
Carrin' On> Lloyd Green
The Little Darlin'Sessions> Lloyd Green
DALE WATSON: For Fans Only Live DVD> Ricky Davis
------------------------------------------------
....and I also sang Harmony on a couple CD's I didn't play Steel on.
Also we cut an Album for Warner Bros. at Capitol Records in Cali that I don't know what happened to it. Also a couple more projects with Dale at Sun Records; I don't know what happened to them.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

I listened to the first few songs on my drive home tonight. What a fantastic work of real country music this is! Highly recommended for the real deal and fantastic steel playing!
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

wow great playing Ricky. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Thanks Lee. Those were the "good ole days".
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

Live in London is still playing on the car stereo every time I've gotten in my car for just over a week now and it's so much fun and so enjoyable to listen to... real Country. Dale's "Carrying On" came in the mail a couple of days ago and I'm waiting on the right time to listen to it... but there is so much to enjoy and plenty learn from Rick and Dale on Live In London.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Thanks so much Ray and you will LOVE Carrin' On; as that is the Little Darlin Crew; with Lloyd Green heading that up...and a Chance to continue to listen to the Now Late great "Pig Robbins" on Piano> RIP.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Anybody heard how Dale and his band are doing since they moved to Memphis?
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Nashville Rash, soooo fun! And I love Dale, at 2:00 when he gets going with the famous names. :D
Bright Lights and Blonde-Haired Women is sweet. It's nice hearing you on this style.

Great playing, Ricky. I've got this album queued up for some real country music enjoyment.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Hey Brooks; not really sure of the whole spectrum of the band now...as me and Dale don't really talk; but his band he's had together for a long while; as somewhat disbanded since the move. Only Don P on pedal steel is the most dedicated one; as now Dale is subbing in Bass and Drums all depending one where his schedule is taking him.
Thanks Dan; so much. Me and Dale were huge western swing fans, with a hint of "Rat Pack" influence, so we certainly cut songs that we loved to emulate and write and we even cut a whole album of Swing/Pop even with two Frank Sinatra songs on it; called "One More; Once More" if you can find that lost album...I cut the whole CD on my Blue Darlin Fulawka C6th neck(except one song that sounds C6th-ish; but was E9...ha....try to guess that one?????
Ricky
Ricky Davis