Removing stains on Tricone left by adhesive?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Matzen

Removing stains on Tricone left by adhesive?

Post by Ryan Matzen »

Hi everyone,

I just received the Tricone that I just purchased. Unfortunately, it does have some issues. One of the issues is that the seller had installed some rubber pads on the back and neck of the guitar. The adhesive from the pad on the back seems to have reacted with the guitar’s plating and left a stain. I assume that I will find the same under the pad that he installed on the neck.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the stains/marks left by these pads? If so, how would I go about doing so?

Thanks,

Ryan
Last edited by Ryan Matzen on 11 Feb 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

You might try some Mother's Billet Metal Polish--It's non abrasive, and does a good job of removing oxidation type stains on Nationals, and might work with these. Wiping it down with Naphtha might help too. If there's any residue from the adhesive, Naphtha might do the trick.

Dave
Ryan Matzen

Post by Ryan Matzen »

David Ball wrote:You might try some Mother's Billet Metal Polish--It's non abrasive, and does a good job of removing oxidation type stains on Nationals, and might work with these. Wiping it down with Naphtha might help too. If there's any residue from the adhesive, Naphtha might do the trick.

Dave
Naphtha and Flitz do absolutely nothing. There isn’t any residue. There is just the stain/mark in the plating. Does the Mothers work differently than Flitz?

Thanks!
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

It looks like the plating around the spot oxidized, but the adhesive protected that spot.

One option is just to wait and see if it oxidizes like the rest. I'm not sure how long it will take, but it will probably blend in eventually.

Another option is to polish the area right around the spot and see if you can get it to blend in.
Ryan Matzen

Post by Ryan Matzen »

Noah Miller wrote:It looks like the plating around the spot oxidized, but the adhesive protected that spot.

One option is just to wait and see if it oxidizes like the rest. I'm not sure how long it will take, but it will probably blend in eventually.

Another option is to polish the area right around the spot and see if you can get it to blend in.
Thanks for the input. That’s a good idea. If I end up keeping the guitar, I’ll try blending it in.

There are also some other issues with the guitar. So, I contacted the seller to see if we can work something out money wise. Otherwise, I am just going to be sending it back.
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Ryan Matzen wrote:
David Ball wrote:You might try some Mother's Billet Metal Polish--It's non abrasive, and does a good job of removing oxidation type stains on Nationals, and might work with these. Wiping it down with Naphtha might help too. If there's any residue from the adhesive, Naphtha might do the trick.

Dave
Naphtha and Flitz do absolutely nothing. There isn’t any residue. There is just the stain/mark in the plating. Does the Mothers work differently than Flitz?

Thanks!
Mothers does work differently from Flitz. Flitz is very slightly abrasive where Mothers isn't. Mothers deals more with chemical interactions on the metal where Flitz deals more with tiny scratches. The key with Mothers is that if you wipe it on and don't get black residue on the rag when you wipe it off, it isn't doing anything. If indeed the metal oxidized where it wasn't protected by the rubber, Mothers might well equalize this.

Dave
Ryan Matzen

Post by Ryan Matzen »

David Ball wrote:
Ryan Matzen wrote:

Dave

Thanks!
Mothers does work differently from Flitz. Flitz is very slightly abrasive where Mothers isn't. Mothers deals more with chemical interactions on the metal where Flitz deals more with tiny scratches. The key with Mothers is that if you wipe it on and don't get black residue on the rag when you wipe it off, it isn't doing anything. If indeed the metal oxidized where it wasn't protected by the rubber, Mothers might well equalize this.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I’ll look into that.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

I bought a old Oahu 66k that had that stuff on the back, i just left it and kinda like it now. The guy said he was selling it because he got a Tricone, wonder if its the same guy? It came from Washington or Oregon iirc.
Ryan Matzen

Post by Ryan Matzen »

Glenn Wilde wrote:I bought a old Oahu 66k that had that stuff on the back, i just left it and kinda like it now. The guy said he was selling it because he got a Tricone, wonder if its the same guy? It came from Washington or Oregon iirc.
Sounds like it may be the same guy. I did get it from someone in Oregon. I don’t know how he was able to play it. It rattles like crazy. More than any other National I’ve ever had.
Last edited by Ryan Matzen on 4 Jul 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Ryan Matzen wrote:
Glenn Wilde wrote:I bought a old Oahu 66k that had that stuff on the back, i just left it and kinda like it now. The guy said he was selling it because he got a Tricone, wonder if its the same guy? It came from Washington or Oregon iirc.
Sounds like it may be the same guy. I did get it from someone in Oregon. I don’t know how he was able to play it. It rattles like crazy. More than any other National I’ve ever had. I wonder if he played real lightly with his fingers? I just took it apart this morning and the bridge was glued to the top of the cones! The gaskets had also disintegrated. So, the cones were not seated properly. The saddle was also loose. And, the replacement nut spacing is way off (some strings are closer together than others). This makes the guitar feel real weird to play. So, I’ve got my work cut out for me. I am going to order some new cones. Then, I’ll take it in to have a nut made. I thought that I was done working on guitars a couple of years ago and sold my nut files! I am guessing that it will be at least a month before I have it properly assembled and back from having a nut made. I can deal with the stain/mark on the back. I would just rather not have it. I have also since removed the rubber from the neck. It also left behind a stain/mark.

Well, it'll be nice when that thing sings again. I remember my Oahu being very heavily strung for what it is, i wanna say it had Dobro strings on it😦
Its much happier now.
Charles Stange

Post by Charles Stange »

Hi Glen, since you had it apart, wondering if there's any markings inside your rig, I own #217 and its marked inside with pencil. Just curious, thanks, Skip
Charles 'Skip' Stange
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Charles Stange wrote:Hi Glen, since you had it apart, wondering if there's any markings inside your rig, I own #217 and its marked inside with pencil. Just curious, thanks, Skip
The Tricone is Ryans, i was talking about a Oahu that probably came from the same guy.
Ryan Matzen

Post by Ryan Matzen »

Charles Stange wrote:Hi Glen, since you had it apart, wondering if there's any markings inside your rig, I own #217 and its marked inside with pencil. Just curious, thanks, Skip
Hi Charles,

If you are indeed asking about my Tricone, I haven’t seen any markings inside.