Exciting things happening at Emmons!

New products of interest to steel guitarists
Kelcey ONeil

Exciting things happening at Emmons!

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

After many months of hard work and anticipation, we are pleased to show the progress we've made with the new ReSound65' recreation of the Emmons Original! As promised, we have done due diligence to honor Buddy's original design while improving its execution with modern precision, and we'd like to share a little of how it was done!

Please see the link below for a fun video of the progress!

https://fb.watch/a-UJKtO7g2

Co-owner and operator: Emmons Guitar Co.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Gorgeous!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's a work of art (and Kurt Johnston's playing behind that video is top class!!!)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Sweet!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

You go Kurt Johnston!,man alive!!
Brad Malone

new emmons 65 resound

Post by Brad Malone »

Great sound..is this guitar a push pull or an all pull and what is the price of this new Emmons steel?...TIA.
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

Great looking steel and a good sounding song to show it off. I'm really glad to see the Emmons nameplate back on the market.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Allen Howington

Emmons

Post by Allen Howington »

Great job you guys, can't wait until I can own one............
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Great eye candy video. The track is superb!
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Kelcey:

How do you feel the new wraparound sounds through the new range of Fender amps? Is it a good match?
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

Roger Rettig wrote:Kelcey:

How do you feel the new wraparound sounds through the new range of Fender amps? Is it a good match?
Roger,

The match between the two brands was intentional, in 65' the Fender Twin and its cohorts were the go to gear for most steel players, so most instruments were designed to complement the amps they would likely be paired with. Since classics like the Black Album were cut with a Fender, it was a natural choice to again choose the Fender sound! We feel like Fender's latest offerings provide that classic sound as well modern features, but without unnecessary clutter to muddy up the sound.
Co-owner and operator: Emmons Guitar Co.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Kelcey.

That's logical thinking, of course, but it's gratifying to know that their new amps seem to have been a successful venture. Your new Emmons, from all I've heard and read, has already exceeded expectations and I wish you and the team good luck for the future.
Brett Crisp

Post by Brett Crisp »

Let me chime in for a minute. First off, Kelcey and Darin are some of the best friends I’ve had in a long time. The relationship we have is really good, and our families get along great as well. I’m very proud to call them friends and more importantly, brothers in Christ.

Their knowledge of these great guitars are second to none. They’ve meticulously kept this rebirth of the push pull guitar as close to the original as possible. Heck, there’s been times where if you blindfolded me, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. I never got to meet Buddy, wish I had the opportunity to. But as a player, I feel like they’ve definitely went above and beyond to make sure that if E were still here, he’d be proud to have his name on it.

I was very humbled that they asked me (a nobody in the world of steel guitar) to demo their new guitars at the convention in Mesa back in January. The guitar in the pictures Kelcey put up is the guitar I played there. It played and sounded just like it should. Pedal action is so good on it, you’d swear you’re playing an all pull guitar. He even got my 68 Emmons playing as good as the new ones. The man is a monster when it comes to building (or rebuilding) them.

Rick Heinz from Fender was really great to work with. He let us play around with all the different amps while we were there. I tried all three Twins out on stage at different times, and let me tell you they didn’t disappoint. The sound was incredible. If you don’t believe me, go ask Jim Loessberg. He loved the guitar. Thanks for stopping by Jim, and thanks for the lessons on a couple places in At E’s! It brought back memories of when I used to learn that way from Terry by looking over his shoulder.

All in all, y’all won’t be disappointed with the order of these guitars. They’re fantastic. It’s a pleasure to know these guys and to be able to have a small part in seeing this take off.
Brad Malone

new emmons 65 resound

Post by Brad Malone »

Dear Brent, Thank you for the info on the new push=pull Emmons Steel..I wish you all the best, the guitar is a work of art and I'm sure people will want to own them..Please let us know when they are available for sale and if the set-ups are easy to change or easy to add changes...also, the price of these new guitars. BTW..you did a great job on the demo.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
Brad
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Wow this is good news a cnc made 65 wrap around resound Emmons
Old school Casted parts. It don't get any better.!!
Lem Smith

Re: new emmons 65 resound

Post by Lem Smith »

Brad Malone wrote:Dear Brent, Thank you for the info on the new push=pull Emmons Steel..I wish you all the best, the guitar is a work of art and I'm sure people will want to own them..Please let us know when they are available for sale and if the set-ups are easy to change or easy to add changes...also, the price of these new guitars. BTW..you did a great job on the demo.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
Brad
Brad, it’s a push-pull, and according to the website, the price is $8000 for a SD10 and D10 is $10,000. Out of my price range, but I would truly love to have one. They are not only gorgeous looking, they sound unbelievably good! Available in black or red.
Brad Malone

Push.pulls

Post by Brad Malone »

Lem wrote:Brad, it’s a push-pull, and according to the website, the price is $8000 for a SD10 and D10 is $10,000. Out of my price range, but I would truly love to have one. They are not only gorgeous looking, they sound unbelievably good! Available in black or red.
Lem, they got a big hill to climb..like you say the price is out of many guy's price range and a lot of people have trouble with push pulls because of difficulty in making set up changes...time will tell..got to win the lottery or be a star player to get this one..but I wish them the best..the cost of building them is probably pretty steep..good luck.
Brad
Jim Loessberg

Post by Jim Loessberg »

Thank you Brett for the nice words.

Kelcey and Brett were kind enough to let me spend several hours after the Saturday night Mesa show A/B-ing (if it's not already a word, it should be) their guitar with my 1965 wraparound. I played both through three different amps and preferred my Nashville 400 (stock with a 1501) slightly more than the Fenders but all combinations sounded great. After a lot of comparison I will say I like the sound of the new guitar slightly better than my original.

In the test I used the same cords, volume pedal and Kelcey even put a set of SIT strings on my guitar so it was as close to apples-to-apples as we could get. My pickups are roughly 14.5 and 15.5 and his are 15 (for both necks if I remember correctly) so that was the only variable but my guess is the difference is negligible.

Brett's sets playing the new Emmons at the show were my favorites. To my taste, the sound of the guitar was as good as it gets. Not to mention he plays the way I would like to.

Best wishes,

Jim
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Wow, a work of art, a beautiful guitar (especially the underside), and I bet it sounds great.

Congratulations - the Emmons Guitar lives again!
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Love that red flocking underneath. Reminiscent of my little '73 sunburst Gee Ess:

Andy DePaule

Stunning workmanship, Lacquer/Maple in the future?

Post by Andy DePaule »

Stunning workmanship and the finished steels are amazing to see and hear.
Wish you all the best with this new venture and I'm sure you'll have great success.

It's so sad that the Big E didn't live to see this. I'd guess he'd be smiling down from heaven.

I'm wondering if there are any plans to have lacquer finished maple steels in the future?
Best wishes,
Andy :whoa: :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Andy I'm wondering when the new Emmons Legrande will be available?

When I heard the plans for a new push pull was in the works I said that will never happen.
But I've been wrong once before!!

My hat is off too Kelsey an Darin for doing the unimaginable task.
Congratulations
Charley Bond

I wonder what it weighs...

Post by Charley Bond »

Well, I'm gonna ask what It weighs, so I will know. It is a beauty, I'm hopin' all of that gear under there is needed. I'd hate to find out there had to be more....
Steel Guitar players are members of a Special Family
J.C. Norris

J.C Norris North Carolina

Post by J.C. Norris »

Great looking & super tone and picking!!! I've played a '67
Push/Pull for years. Great product guys. Regards, J.C.
Kevin Quick

Post by Kevin Quick »

Had a couple cut tails in the 70's and 80's. They sounded great. Just got this a few weeks ago and it sounds even better!🤠
Emmons Resound 65 D10, Zum hybrid, Quilter TT 12 Tone block 202