SE9 vs EM9 on Stroboplus hd

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Hansen

SE9 vs EM9 on Stroboplus hd

Post by Brett Hansen »

I've got my E9 tuned to the SE9 on my Stroboplus and when trying to follow along on some YouTube videos it sounds off. Do most people use the EM9 settings?
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I prefer 'OE9' (which uses the same basic offsets as the chart in Scotty's book, 'The Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar') and tunes the 'E-strings' to 440. I believe that the 'SE9' is based on Jeff Newman's tuning method which sets the 'E-strings at 442.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

I find my guitar sounds most in tune with OE9. That's essentially the same offsets as SE9, except it uses 440 reference as opposed to 442. I did try EM9 for awhile, but found OE9 sounded better.....on my guitar, and to my ears. YMMV.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

SE9 for me. I used a modified OE9 for years, until I got a Peterson Stroboplus HD tuner. Tried several, including OE9, EM9 and settled on the SE9. Works perfect for me, for recording and live playing on both a Franklin and two GFI's.

Actually, I have my own "JE9" that is based on the SE9 opens and associated pedals/knees into one program.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

From the looks of things you guys are using the desk top Peterson/Strobe unit. I was planning on getting the Stompbox version (StroboStomp HD) although the Desktop version would be nice because eliminates the need for cords.

When tuning with the Desktop unit where do you place it and will the internal mic pick up the un-amplified strings if placed atop the steel or is amplification needed? Thanks.
David Dorwart

Post by David Dorwart »

Somebody help me here. Those sweetened tunings are meant to offset effect of cabinet drop? Doesn’t cabinet drop vary from guitar to guitar? What might offset for a double neck Emmons differ from a single neck GFI? I’ve tried those sweetened tunings and to me they sound off pitch - maybe because they are? I always drift back to straight up tuning. Don’t know if it matters but I’m using the digital version of Peterson strobe tuner which offers both settings Es tuned to 440 and the other to 442
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

David you are correct. Those presets are a generic setting. The only true way to be in tune is to create your own offsets for your guitar because they are all different. Even guitars from the same manufacturer will vary.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

"Sweetened" is a term that Peterson uses for basically tuning compensation but NOT for cabinet drop. e-mail me and I'll send you a PDF Peterson document on steel guitar tunings.

Cabinet drop is basically a non-issue on both a GFI Ultra D-10 I had or the GFI Ultra S-10 with pad that I have now.

There is a multitude of threads on this forum about tunings and tuning methods. Everyone seems to have their own method. I was chided by a well known Nashville steel guitar picker when he saw me using the Buddy Emmmons harmonic tuning method to tune the 9th and 10th C6h strings as "they are out of tune".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

OE9 and OP9 for me as well. I used SE9 and SP9 for a while but, it did not sound as good to my ears. I sometimes play with a piano, and the E's will sound out of tune if you use SE9.
I tend to fine tune it after using the tuner, like Mr.Stoner.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

Ray Gehringer wrote:From the looks of things you guys are using the desk top Peterson/Strobe unit. I was planning on getting the Stompbox version (StroboStomp HD) although the Desktop version would be nice because eliminates the need for cords.

When tuning with the Desktop unit where do you place it and will the internal mic pick up the un-amplified strings if placed atop the steel or is amplification needed? Thanks.
Was it something I said? Thanks anyway.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Nothing you said. I don't think many people use the desktop version (including the guys above), so we may be dealing with a lot of "Good question... I don't really know." Note: on the pedal, you can shift between the different flavors of the Newman tuning systems discussed here using buttons on the pedal. They are already loaded on the pedal, so it's not a computer thing.

For what it's worth, I have a tuning app on my phone (not Peterson) and it will tune an unamplified steel in a quiet room as long as it's within several feet of the guitar.
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

Thank you, Tucker. Appreciated.
Brett Hansen

Post by Brett Hansen »

Thanks everyone I'm using om9/op9 now and it seems to be better for me.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

David Dorwart wrote:Somebody help me here. Those sweetened tunings are meant to offset effect of cabinet drop?.............
No, not really. Cabinet drop is one reason that particular sweeteners work better on some guitars than others, but that's a side effect, not their reason for being. The sweeteners are closer to "Just Intonation" where the instrument is in tune to itself. It's sweeter because it's in tune. The problem is that "straight up" tuning uses "Equal Temperament", a system developed so pianos could play in all keys. It's actually a compromise where notes are equally out of tune. Most of the other instruments you play with will be using ET, so I think the sweeteners are attempts to keep the steel as close to JI (in tune with itself) without sounding too far off from the rest of the band.
Alan Bidmade

Post by Alan Bidmade »

Listen and follow Jack Stoner's advice. Works for me.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick