Fender Tone Master Twin

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Lawson

Fender Tone Master Twin

Post by Ben Lawson »

I recently bought one of the Fender amps and I can't get the tone I like with it. My steel is a '76 Emmons P/P D 10. What settings are some of the others with this amp using? My Nashville 400 sounds better but the weight was too tough on me after cancer surgery. Fortunately, the doc cleared me of the weight restrictions but if I could get the Fender to have a fuller sound, I'll still use it. If not, I'll probably sell it. Thanks.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I found the mids have to be set at or near max on this amp. Try that and set bass and treble to 5 then tweak to your satisfaction.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Thanks Larry, I'll give it a try. One of my greatest memories is playing in front of Buddy Emmons. I asked him what he thought and he said "turn down the mids". it stuck and I usually do that. I'm just glad he didn't say give it up kid!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Ben I totally agree and on most Peavey amps it's necessary. It's hard to wrap my head around it on the Tonemaster. I was ready to sell mine. Jack Stoner gave me this tip after I all but gave up. I did the update on the reverb and it's much improved and usable. I considered a speaker swap but a few members already did that with poor results. Let me know how it works out.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Also, there is a marked improvement once those neo speakers break in. Totally subject to taste, conditions, etc., but I go with Treble @4.5, mids @5.5, bass @7. Took my Carter to my steady gig last Saturday (as opposed to my usual Super Pro) and had to engage the bright switch.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

I'm playing a '71 S10 PP, and I just got a new Tonemaster Twin. I've found for mine, Bass 8, Middle 8 1/2, Treble 6 and then I tweak the treble a little, bright switch down.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try them out today. I know it might change in a larger room but I appreciate all the advice.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Yep, don’t be timid with the mids. The TM is modeled to emulate tubes, and tubes like mids. Those speakers like to be pushed a little.
Jeremy King

Post by Jeremy King »

With my Tone Master Twin, I found that going into input 2 on the amp gives me the sound I like.
Mike Petryk

Post by Mike Petryk »

Hi,
I did the reverb update which improved reverb quite a bit. I have the bass & mids just over 5. The treble is at 5 with the bright off. Right now power (rear panel) is at 22W.

My set up also has a steel guitar black box with the veri-Z turned up. I added a Baby Bloomer. That has improved the harmonics noticeably. It's set at about 9:30. I agree that the speakers take a while to break in.
Regards,
Mike
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Like Jeremy I go into the second input as well (for steel; not for tele).
George Macdonald

Tonemaster Twin

Post by George Macdonald »

In what way does the second input affect the tone differently? Thanks
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

There’s some interesting comments here about input #2
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/using-inp ... rb.538835/
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Larry Beem

TM twin

Post by Larry Beem »

I use a wet reverb pedal, and a baby bloomer in front of mine. I also like a black box right after the pickup.
I am very satisfied with my tone, and get lots of compliments. Usually have it set at 12 watts and run the volume sat around 4. These amps come to life around 4 on the volume. There are so many advantages to these besides the weight..
Williams 700 series D10 8 and 5,
Rittenberry Prestige SD10 4 and 5
Stereo Steel, NV400, Fender Twin Tone Master, Sarno BB, Lil Izzy's, Goodrich Matchbox......on and on ......
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I use a Black box on mine.
All Tone controls stay around 5 with minor adjustments for the rooms.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Using the tip's you all posted, I think I got the amp to sound a bunch better. I'll be using it Friday night to see how it does. I'm filling in for Jack Dougherty and he left his Nashville 400 so I'll have one to fall back on if the twin doesn't cut it. Thanks everyone.
Brooks Montgomery

Interesting to hear a couple of you like using the Blackbox with your Twin TM’s.
I like the Blackbox with my Quilter 201 (thickened it up) but I couldn’t discern any difference in tone on the Fender Twin, so I quit using it (one less thing).
Maybe I’ll give it another try. You guys really noticed a difference, eh?
Brooks Montgomery

Well, in answer to my own question, I got my Black Box out again and gave it an A/B test, and I can hear it thicken it up on the Tonemaster Twin. It is much more subtle than on my Quilter Toneblock, but it is there. I’m still messing with cranking up the mids and I do like it—thanks for the tips on that.
Funny, on my pedal board, the only other pedal I’m using is the Wet Reverb (sounds better than the Fender), and for some reason I don’t care for adding digital delay.

Of the few amps I have, it is still my favorite for plugging in direct with no pedals.
Of course, I’ver never owned a “real” Twin, but have had a Hot Rod Deluxe (sold it), and still have a ‘65 Blackface Princeton that I love (for other stuff).
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Turn the volume up to at least 4 and dial back the power attenuator to the volume level desired. It gets a nice growl when turned up.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Brooks Montgomery

Ken Metcalf wrote:Turn the volume up to at least 4 and dial back the power attenuator to the volume level desired. It gets a nice growl when turned up.
Yes, use that a lot.
That amp makes a great blues harp amp also when dialed down to 5 watts and turned up to 7 or more
Larry Beem

Post by Larry Beem »

Ken Metcalf wrote:Turn the volume up to at least 4 and dial back the power attenuator to the volume level desired. It gets a nice growl when turned up.
I second turning it to four or more. It comes to life there. I also like a black box and wet reverb. I also really like the baby bloomer with this amp!
Williams 700 series D10 8 and 5,
Rittenberry Prestige SD10 4 and 5
Stereo Steel, NV400, Fender Twin Tone Master, Sarno BB, Lil Izzy's, Goodrich Matchbox......on and on ......
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Wow, lots of good advice. Thanks to everyone. I'll try it out at home today. You all are what makes steel pickers the most helpful musicians of all!