Who plays pull release in 2022?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Goulet

Who plays pull release in 2022?

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Just curious: who plays a pull release guitar as their primary guitar these days?
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Jerry McNulty

Post by Jerry McNulty »

Ive been playing a Simmons Pull Release for a few years now. Had a few calls to him when I started.
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Include me. (It's a Bigsby.)
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Rich Sullivan wrote:Include me. (It's a Bigsby.)
Could you post a few photos, Rich? Those are gorgeous guitars.
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

Frank,
I have a number photos on a recent post.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

It is a 1949 Bigsby, built for Ernie Ball. But as the photos show, it has been completely hot-rodded (pun intended).
Rich
Jeremy King

Post by Jeremy King »

I play Hudson Steel Guitars. I own two of Jimmie’s 10 strings and one of his six string models. They have always worked for me playing shows and in the studio. I like the tone and feel of them.
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Sho Bud Permanents...

Dave
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

For about the past 3 years my one and only steel has been a P/R Marlin S10 w/4&4.. Sold or traded all others. It has done everything I have asked. I changed the strings when I got it, probably 7-8 years ago, and that set is STILL on it... It has never broken a single string in well over 7 years, even the .011 3rd... Just a great guitar, that never goes out of tune or needs any adjustments.. far and away the most stable pedal steel I have owned in my 45+ years of playing steel. Also the most tedious and painful to set up, and get dialed in.. This is NOT a guitar for the ham handed or the faint hearted to deal with from a mechanical standpoint.
It needed a lot of linkage work, a lot of tweaking, a lot of spring tension adjustments, rod size alterations etc etc.. However, when i DID get it done to my satisfaction a few weeks after I started, it has never changed even a little. I was told many times by guys that had P/R guitars that they were tough to get right, but when they were finally set up right, they simply stayed that way forever.. I have found that to be 100% accurate... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Not my only guitar but the Stage One by Zum is a pull release. I have no issues with it. Plays well and holds tuning. I love the fact that Bob has 7 years on his strings. I won't do that but I have a couple archtop guitars with Tomastik strings that are a few years old.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I do. 68 Sho-Bud Permanent is my main squeeze.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I hope to be able to play this no name D-10 in 2022. It needs a complete setup. 😳 It was built by either LeeRoy Prine before he sold the name (Pedalmaster) to Roy Thomas, or by Zane Beck after he left ShoBud and before he built ZBs. It sounds beautiful.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Fellow Vermonter, Brett Lanier, plays a pull release. I think it's a Marlen. (not the fish).
Perhaps he'll chime in here.
I notice it has a much wider string spacing, that is, more regular guitar like. Bret's a fine guitarist too and switches back and forth.
Nicholas Thomas

Post by Nicholas Thomas »

Heres a pull release guitar I finished this summer!
Guitar Built by me!
Ray Gehringer

Post by Ray Gehringer »

This past Friday I took delivery of a Stage One built by Doug Earnest... lovin' it so far.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I have a very nice Permanent reworked by the late James Morehead.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

That's a good looking guitar, Dave Z. It sure has some ZB DNA in there somewhere (end plate style, for one!)

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

It sure has some ZB DNA in there somewhere (end plate style, for one!)
Yes it does. It also has the same roller nuts and oversized roller nut shaft like on early ZB's, and the fretboards do say Zane Beck. At first I thought someone added them later but after a little research they could very well be original. Zane used to hang out with LeeRoy Prine at his shop in the early '60's.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Wow, this is just great. Beautiful guitars.

Bob, I'm with you on the Marlen. I love mine, and as you said, it's so stable. I tune it everyday but most times I don't have to do much more than a single tweak, if that. Setup is tricky, but my copedent is so simple it wasn't even that hard for me once I understood the mechanism. Gorgeous tone and plays like butter.

Jim, that's interesting about string spacing. My Marlen S12 does seem wide, but I don't have anything to compare it to, really. Can anyone confirm or deny that Marlen's have wider than average spacing?

Thanks, everyone, for your responses so far.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

As a retired toolmaker/machinist/maintenance man, I have come to realise that the more simple that a mechanical contraption is, the more reliable and trouble-free it is.

My 1966 Marlen is simplicity itself, and in the dozen years that I have owned/played it, there have been zero problems with it.

PS the string spacing is standard 11/32"
Randy Major

Pull/Release

Post by Randy Major »

I have a Hudson SD10. I think they are pull/release but I don't know what that means. Does it affect travel and throw? I'm having trouble with too much of one or the other.
Jeremy King

Post by Jeremy King »

Randy, a pull release changer (like on the Hudson guitars) usually requires a wound 6th string. It usually helps balance the pulls of the G# strings. Jagwire Carter Starter strings work perfect on my Hudson guitars. They are roughly the same gauges as the ones Jimmie uses. They also include a wound 6th string in the pack.
Randy Major

Pull/Release

Post by Randy Major »

Thanks, I'm wondering about the difference between "All Pull" and "Pull and Release"
Daniel Baston

Post by Daniel Baston »

K Maul wrote:I have a very nice Permanent reworked by the late James Morehead.
What a beautiful instrument!
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

I play a 1956 Bigsby triple 8/10/8. Pull release with eight pedals. I play it a lot at home but don’t gig it. I can barely lift it in the case.
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Abe Levy wrote:I play a 1956 Bigsby triple 8/10/8. Pull release with eight pedals. I play it a lot at home but don’t gig it. I can barely lift it in the case.
My PA Reissue is a 10-10-8 w/5p and arrived in a freakin' huge Anvil case that required 2 men to lift it. But when the guitar goes to a gig, the body rides in a keyboard bag, and the legs/rods/rack in another smaller keyboard bag. That setup is still a PITA, but at least a normal human can lift to put on the hand truck.

My Bigsby T-8 w/6p has a standard tolex/wood 2pc case set. Again... still heavy but, so far, able to be placed on the hand truck.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?