There's something about a black guitar.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I guess you all haven’t heard that Red is the new black!!!
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
John Brock

The ole outlaw

Post by John Brock »

GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Donn Lewis

Post by Donn Lewis »

Yes!

Mullen Discovery 3x4
Milkman half and half 12" combo
Goodrich 120, Steeler's choice seat, Mud Stand, BJ's bar, Peterson Strobostomp HD
Frank Carter

Post by Frank Carter »

here's mine
Gary Peaslee

Post by Gary Peaslee »

OK. I'll play:
Image [/img]
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I just bought a new GFI Ultra S-10 with pad, keyless. It is Black.
Bought from Billy Coopers.

GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Here is my black steel, Affectionally named Marie Laveau. A S 12U GFI Ultra.
Their are many stories I have heard about Black Steels is, The black covering used on most steels, Is not true Formica. It is a thinner plastic laminate, That has no sound deadening backing. When laminated to wood does not deaden vibration.
At the Washington, PA Steel Show, Someone asked Mr. Huey at his booth, Why he only played a black steels. He talked about the lamination being thinner.
Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

Must Be something with black 😂
Larry Ball

Here is mine

Post by Larry Ball »

Reflection is stage lighting…
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
john widgren

Black Bolty

Post by john widgren »

Zumsteel post production bolt on. Black of course!
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I agree. While I occasionally lust after a teal green guitar, I'll have this beauty for the rest of my days.

Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bruce built this bewty for me in 2008 :-} - still going strong!

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Henry Doepel

Fessenden D10

Post by Henry Doepel »

With all these beautiful black steels posted here I figured someone should represent Fessenden 8)

[/img]
Bud Harger

Agree !

Post by Bud Harger »

Bud Carter once told me that a black guitar allowed him to concentrate on his playing… and not ever be distracted by a “Color”… maybe that explains the presence of “frequency” or lack of “frequency “.

I agree!

bUd
bUd

1969 Emmons (Layla) D-10 8f/4k; 2019 Justice D-10 8f/7k; Evans Amps.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

There's something about a black guitar

Sure is! They show dust and fingerprints worse than any other color. Plus, they get inordinately hot if you're playing in the sun.

:lol:
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

My other "Black" guitar - had this old boy since new 1986 .... never misses a beat and always look fabulous :-}

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Tom Brumley's ZB Custom D-11
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

My 2003 U-12 ZumSteel.
Flip Brown

Red to Black

Post by Flip Brown »

I woke up this morning with a Red MSA PS, and this afternoon it's now black carbon fiber. Actually, it was carbon fiber all along, but you couldn't tell.

I was indeed fortunate to pick up old #22 of the first generation of Millennium pedal steels. Going from my good old Sierra Artist to this was like getting out of my trusty old Volkswagen and getting the keys to a Mercedes. I didn't really like the red, though, and there were numerous nicks and scratches, befitting an eighteen year old instrument that had seen some use - indicated by the wear on the case. Plus, I had seen some of the Millenniums finished with what appeared to be a clear gel coat over the original carbon fiber, and I loved that look.

I'm not sure how I first came across it, but I ended up buying some 3M 2080 vinyl wrap (actually, a whole kit with the right quantity of wrap and all the tools I needed for $49.95 on eBay). You've probably seen cars around town that look like rolling billboards with the stuff, or if you want your Mustang to be neon lime green this is the way to go.

Just for the sake of comparison I took the PS to my local auto accessories shop where they do this work and they quoted me $335 to wrap it. Ouch! It took me about three and a half hours (not counting re-stringing) but it was fun.

While there are a few places where you can see the red (like under the changer) and there are some minor wrinkles here and there, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's now "my" pedal steel (being the last one I'll own), and I agree that there is something about black and chrome that is special.

Of course, just because I think it looks better doesn't mean I'll play it any better. Gotta get back to practicing! I enjoy being part of this community.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Here's my 76' S-11 RusLer with 5+4
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I’m still fine tuning this “Faux~Bud” SD 12 I picked up recently. It was probably made by an employee “off campus” according to Ricky Davis’ analysis. It’s like a Super-Pro underneath so I replaced some of the pot metal knee lever parts with Michael Yahl’s parts. I took the pad off and installed a dobro/lap steel neck. 5pedals+6knees. I’m probably leaving it as extended E9 but am thinking that over.
I also have a black Justice
And this fantastic EXCEL S-11.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Here are a couple of mine from years gone by...both beautiful, great playing, sounding steels.

Image :lol:

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 31 Jan 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

My first steel guitar was a black Airline lapsteel. I've had bunches of black steels since then--Emmons, Fessenden, Lone Star, Excel, Blanton, GFI and the list goes on. Probably have forgotten a bunch of them! All of my Harleys were black too. There is definitely something there...

Still have the black Lone Star. All of my other steels are lacquered these days, and I sold my last motorcycles last summer. Time marches on.

Dave
Larry Allen

Blacky

Post by Larry Allen »

Image Here’s another Excel..black on black :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

I need an Emmons!