Electrifying a reso guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Bassett

Electrifying a reso guitar

Post by Bill Bassett »

Howdy, Probably asked and answered a hundred times but I’m in a hurry, I’ll ask again.
I am the proud owner of a Gretsch square neck reso which my lovely wife won at the SWSGA convention 2020. I love noodling around on it but have not had occasion to play it live with a band…yet. So in a short week I’ll be playing a New Years Eve gig and could use it on several tunes. Is there a good way to attach a pickup using any kind of McGuyver materials I might have on hand? Don’t want to cut into it or mar the surface. Any suggestions?
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

Employ Occam's razor, and use a mic.
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Bill Bassett

But I Hear Zebras

Post by Bill Bassett »

Yeah, I probably will. But it’s a loud band.
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

Play louder! :D

If you have a soundperson and/or a good PA, an SM-57 is a great choice. If you don't want to spend $100 USD for a Shure, Pyle makes a GREAT 57 clone, balanced output for about $15 USD, I have 5 of them that I used to mic my drums, and they are a dream. A producer friend of mine recommended them and they are super.
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Before I got my current Dobro which has a built-in Fishman, I had a Barcus Berry magnetic pickup that was thin enough that is fitted easily under the strings, attached by double sided tape.

Yes, of course a microphone will sound more natural but in a band situation, I'd bet money that almost nobody in the room apart from you and (maybe) the sound guy would notice or appreciate the difference and any improvement in tone by using a mic is far outweighed by convenience and being able to hear yourself without feedback issues.

Of course, in a recording situation, I'd always use a mic.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Fwiw, what Jeff stated…feedback can be a real mood killer….
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

The Krivo is pretty popular.
https://youtu.be/7rtBuqwe--M
The K&K is pretty non invasive too.
Tom Whitworth

Krivo

Post by Tom Whitworth »

Glenn Wilde wrote:The Krivo is pretty popular.
https://youtu.be/7rtBuqwe--M
The K&K is pretty non invasive too.
I came here researching Peavey Powerslide lap/upright steels - the Krivo pick-up turns out to be exactly what I want instead. That's why I like this site - you just never know what might be around the corner. Thanks for the recommendation Glenn - TW
ShoBud "The Pro II" Custom/NV 400,
Gibson 345/Princeton Reverb,
Tele/Peavey Deuce,
OME 5 string,
LATEST ADD : Line 6 Helix