Rick Aiello??

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Martin Lindsay

Rick Aiello??

Post by Martin Lindsay »

Hi Everyone,

After trying unsucessfully to get a hold of Rick Aiello, I managed to find his website (www.horseshoemagnets.com) with various tech tips on disassembling my pre-war Ric pickup. Magnets were sent to Lindy Fralin which seemed to do the trick.

Recalled that Rick had Valco pickup magnets on his site as well, and it turns out I could use a pair for a ‘39 National. I tried to open the saved link I have for Rick’s website, and it seems that’s no longer active. Loss of a lot of great info if so.

If anyone on SGF can provide an update on Rick, please do so. I have run into a few folks who, like me, have tried to get a hold of him without luck. Hope all’s well in these troubling virulent times.

Best,
Martin
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

His website was last seen by the Wayback Machine Internet Archive as recently as Dec 3, although it's down now, you can retrieve their saved info from it. I'm not sure of his status. https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.horseshoemagnets.com
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

Rick has posted on Facebook twice this month - once on the 16th, wishing his son Luigi a happy birthday, and also last week, on the 21st he posted a SoundCloud link to an audio recording of him playing "White Christmas" on the lap steel.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I thought Rick had pulled back from making pickups or doing any work on lap steels. He hasn’t had much of a presence for several years. Wasn’t there some legal action from Rickenbacker involved?
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Stephen Cowell

Re: Rick Aiello??

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Martin Lindsay wrote:
Recalled that Rick had Valco pickup magnets on his site as well, and it turns out I could use a pair for a ‘39 National.
Martin, I bought a set from Rick to try on my Supro... turned out that it sounded exactly the same, so I put the old ones back. I'll sell you the pair for what I paid, plus shipping... PM me.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329