Jerry Roller's Black Zum

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Terry Roller

Jerry Roller's Black Zum

Post by Terry Roller »

I am going to be selling my dad's black Zum. It has John Hughey's signature on the inside of an endplate. I'm wondering if anyone knows any history on that guitar.,

Update..I have a buyer for the Zum.

Last edited by Terry Roller on 14 Dec 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Probably a 2005. Worth about $5.5k to $6.5k Nice
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Hey Terry:

John did have a ZumSteel that looked just like that. I believe he had told me he had George-Ls 10-1 p/u in both necks at the time.

If it's all loaded up with pedals and knee-levers, it may have been John's guitar and your dad acquired it from him. Knowing your dad, that wouldn't surprise me.

Hope you're well.

Chris "Tiny" O.
Terry Roller

Post by Terry Roller »

Chris, it has 8 knee levers and 8 pedals. My dad used the Day setup and I've been told John Hughey did as well. I've reached out to Bruce Zumsteg to see if he knows.
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

The guitar is a 2008, built new for Bob Dell.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Our trusty serial no sheet, we all use, actually says it was an ' 06 build with 8 pedals and 8 knees. Is the chart wrong Bruce? Just checking. Ron
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

I agree with "Tiny" Olson

'frequently saw John perform with that Zum.

Ron
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Buddy played one that color. So did I and many others. Didn't make it one of John's. Bruce has no reason to mis-lead anyone. And I can assure you he remembers every guitar he ever built for John. Maybe every guitar he ever built period.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Looks like you have the definitive answer Terry. No doubt that Bruce knows exactly who each of his babies were built for.

My observation was based on the fact that John did have one that looked liked that one, he had signed it and I knew that he and your dad played the Day setup and were friends. The photo that Ron posted was the one that was in my mind too.

All of John's guitars I'd ever witnessed, going back 50+ years had at least 9 pedals (many of his Emmons Originals had 10) and a bunch of levers too.

Either way, the ZumSteel you have there is a dandy of a guitar for sure..!!

Good luck with the sale and I hope you are well.

Chris "Tiny" O.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

If the guitar in the photo is the same one that John played in the 'Time Jumpers' video it should have a red decal on the key head end of the cabinet not visible in the photograph.
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

My mistake Guys! I guess I didn't have on my glasses! It is an '06, built for Bob Dell. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I just now saw the latest comments.