1954 Double Neck Stringmaster - Who signed this thing?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Henry Hibbert

1954 Double Neck Stringmaster - Who signed this thing?

Post by Henry Hibbert »

Hey folks, I'm new to this forum, and wow it is informative and helpful, and I've already taken a few tabs to work on. Thank you for that, I'm grateful.

I saw a thread on here a while back that I can't find now, about the funny markings inside key pockets. I got this Doubleneck recently in my life-long love affair with guitars (and I'm loving on this long scale every day!), and when I got it, I cleaned it up, it was very dirty and yet it works perfectly fine. I found these marks inside the pockets. I wonder if the pencil marked initials are known to anyone, who is it?

Lord Almighty its a long scale 1954 Double Neck Stringmaster. Will I set down the D-18 and Telecaster for a while? Yes... perhaps for quite a while.
Bill Fisher

Post by Bill Fisher »

Looks like that'is the first guitar of this type made in
December, 1954.

Bill
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've also got the date markings on my SM (10/54) but I discovered more underneath the control plate:

Henry Hibbert

Post by Henry Hibbert »

Now that's the one and only Gloria Fuentes. That's a piece of history there! I'll check mine and see if I'm as lucky.
Lord Almighty its a long scale 1954 Double Neck Stringmaster. Will I set down the D-18 and Telecaster for a while? Yes... perhaps for quite a while.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I knew the name Abigail Ybarra (and was disappointed that she didn't wind my pickups, having started in '56) but I was not familiar with Gloria Fuentes. Cool.
Henry Hibbert

Post by Henry Hibbert »

There are Steelers here who know more about it, but she was one of Leo's most trusted builders, a long time employee. I read she was disgusted with CBS and quit because of their lack of quality control and pressure to produce. Yeah, you have something special there.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a long scale T-8 Stringmaster that I bought new in 1954-55.
Erv

Henry Hibbert

Triple Neck Mint.

Post by Henry Hibbert »

Forgive me Lord for I am coveting my neighbor's Fender.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Erv, do you remember the price?
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Bill,
It's been so long ago I don't remember, sorry. :(
Erv
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Henry,
About this one?

Or these?

Henry Hibbert

Post by Henry Hibbert »

Speechless. I'm in your last will, if not, feel free to add a special codicil, "I hereby bequeath yon double neck stringmaster to that nutcase named Henry...." something along those lines, you get my drift?

Those are magnificent. Thank you for sharing.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Henry,
Thank you!
I'll remember you in my will: "Hello Henry" :lol:
Erv
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

"Lord Almighty its a long scale 1954 Double Neck Stringmaster. Will I set down the D-18 and Telecaster down for a while? Yes... perhaps for quite a while."

I said something similar in 1994. Better make sure you want to go down that rabbit hole. My enabler was a '56 T8 :?

Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

I had similar markings in my '54 T-8. 11-54 penciled in the neck pockets along with some unintelligible markings which may have been initials. I also had the Gloria masking tape in the control cavity with a December date.

I think the #1 in yours is for the neck order. Can't tell if the other says #2.

Enjoy the guitar!
Benjamin Franz

Post by Benjamin Franz »

Henry Hibbert wrote:Now that's the one and only Gloria Fuentes. That's a piece of history there! I'll check mine and see if I'm as lucky.
I wonder if one of the women in this video at around 4:32 is Gloria Fuentes?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Gloria Fuentes signed the control cavity of my 1953 Dual 8 Pro. Here's a pic that includes her. I doubt that she is any of the women in the video.

Also, I am pretty sure this is her on the left, taken from R. Smith's Fender book--a library copy so I don't have the page number.

I am interested in any opinions, or any additional photos or videos folks can share. I love this stuff.