Pedal Steel in Southern Gospel Music

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Duncan

Pedal Steel in Southern Gospel Music

Post by Bill Duncan »

It has been said before, but it is worth saying again. Southern Gosoel Music just ain't as interesting without pedal steel guitar. Or Country music. The one bright spot is Ireland and Keltic music. They still feature lots of pedal steel guitar in real Country and Gospel music. God bless them.
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Well said Bill!
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

I agree. Some of my favorite music is Southern Gospel with steel, especially the 1960s and 70s era, Dwayne Friend, Florida Boys, Hemphills, and even the Rambo's used Weldon Myrick on a couple of their albums.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I have a Goodman live album from 1981 and Lloyd Green is listed as the steel picker. I don't know if he was there live or studio, but I can't tell by listening. He did a great job as is usual for him. I have other Southern Gospel albums by various artists where Buddy Emmons, Sonny Garrish, Weldon, and others are attributed. There is some great pickin and singing on them. Great music era.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The Goodmans had a steel player with them most all the time.
Does anybody remember his name? :D
Erv
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Jack Smith was the Goodman's steel player. Steve Easter played for them for awhile also.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Thanks, Kenny :D
Erv
Paul Wade

jack smith

Post by Paul Wade »

KENNY KRUPNICK wrote:Jack Smith was the Goodman's steel player. Steve Easter played for them for awhile also.
here go erv THE LIGHT HOUSE"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM1uIKSJHEk

P.W :D
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Paul,
Thanks SO much!
That is my favorite Goodman's song.
It brings tears to my eyes. :D
Erv
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Wow that steel tone/performance is great in that song. Seems it recorded the best while other instruments were soso.
Is the Gospel steel considered a part of the sacred steel movement?
Perhaps I should word that the other way around.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I love southern gospel too. Got to play with the Singing Rambos in 1973 and 74. Back then many groups had full bands and many with steel players. Now it's mostly pre recorded tracks with a few exceptions.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Since I imagine most are out of print, I'd love to see some listings of albums to look for on YouTube or at the used record store with specific players. As a side note, many of my favorite R&B singers started in their own branch of gospel music before their pop careers. Notably, Sam Cooke, Johnny Taylor, Aretha, Wilson Pickett... the list is endless.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Skip to about 1;30 to hear Rabbit Easter, he also got tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q562tMEO48
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Wayne Baker

Southern Gospel

Post by Wayne Baker »

I play almost exclusively southern gospel. I have toured with gospel groups. I find that many won't use musicians due to the cost involved. In saying that, I don't charge for ministry... But I love administering the Gospel with the steel guitar.
Thanks,

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Great topic!
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

"Give praises to the Lord on an instrument of 10 strings"
(Psalms 33:2), (Psalms 92:3) and (Psalms 144:9) :D
Erv
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Wayne, one of my retirement initiatives is to play/tour with gospel groups at NC. Should be ready in a couple of years. Please keep me in mind….
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I believe Southern Gospel Music grew out of church Home Comings and all day singings with dinner on the ground. I was born and raised in the South going to a small country church. I remember those Home Comings and all day Sunday singings well. The music was a mixture of shape-note Gospel and 50s Country.it seems most everyone played some kind of instrument and sang.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bill Duncan wrote:I believe Southern Gospel Music grew out of church Home Comings and all day singings with dinner on the ground. I was born and raised in the South going to a small country church. I remember those Home Comings and all day Sunday singings well. The music was a mixture of shape-note Gospel and 50s Country.it seems most everyone played some kind of instrument and sang.

I remember those days, nobody stopped by KFC to buy chicken to bring.....good music, good worship/fellowship, good homemade food, remember them well. BF
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Bill Ford said....I remember those days, nobody stopped by KFC to buy chicken to bring.....good music, good worship/fellowship, good homemade food, remember them well. BF

That was the only time I could get my fill of banana pudding. Mama only made that on rare occasions when the preacher was coming to visit, Christmas or funeral wakes.

It was also where I saw my first 6 string steel guitar up close. I remember seeing a guy with a D28 Martin guitar and I knew he was headed for the big time.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

When I was pretty much yet a kid, in the mid-late 70's, my brother, best friend and his wife and another friend traveled all over the Pacific Northwest doing Gospel Concerts, and although our music was more "Country Gospel" than Southern, many of the Southern Gospel groups were a big influence and we drew from and used many of there songs. Groups like The Hemphils, and Rex Nelon Singers, Gathers and Rambo's, with Weldon and Sonny on much of what we listened to.

We weren't a BIG group, and certainly not as professional as some of ya'll, but we did have a Sho~Bud Pro lll :wink: which I STILL have.

In my neck of the woods the Gospel Music we were doing wasn't being done, yet we were ALWAYS very well received even in the most conservative of surroundings.
Everyone was always very interested and curious about the Pedal Steel, though I did get a look or two when they'd see the Hearts Clubs Spades and Diamonds :wink:
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Dale,
On my Sho~Bud, I covered those fret markers up. :D
Erv
Wayne Baker

Southern Gospel

Post by Wayne Baker »

Marty, I can only imagine that there are a lot of opportunities in NC. If I hear of anything, I'll definitely give you a shout.
Thanks,

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...